PDA

View Full Version : I need to download all my files from this

nwcountry
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
laptop, onto a Flash drive. I've never used one so I wanted to ask for direction first, just to make sure. These DW files for the site I made are too important for me to mess up by transferring them wrong.

If you need more info on how many files etc., please let me know. The flash drive is 4 GB, more then enough as I only have the basic layout of the site done. No textual content to speak of. I do want to take them completely off the laptop, not just copy them. I was thinking drag and drop the main directory but that seems to simple to be the right thing, lol;)

Thank you in advance, Denise

DWcourse
10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Drag and drop the main directory is right. That will give you all the files that are part of your site. Then, if you want to move it to another machine, just drop the directory onto the new machine and make that the local site folder when you setup.define the site on the new machine.

blake
10-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I do this everyday....piece of cake. I recently put all business sites on one machine and personal sites on another machine. Thumb drive all the way with no problems.

d a v e
10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
also make a backup somewhere else too - just in case. flash drives can go faulty too!

DWcourse
10-17-2010, 07:51 PM
also make a backup somewhere else too - just in case. flash drives can go faulty too!

Actually any kind of drive can (and will) go bad.

nwcountry
10-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you all. I think I'll leave a copy on this laptop after all so just ctrl and drag? That copies right? Then when I am sure she has them loaded on her DW and all is working fine, I can delete the files from my laptop. Unless they want me to do more work for them:) bye and thanks again, denise

d a v e
10-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Actually any kind of drive can (and will) go bad.
yep that's whay i said to make a backup (in addition to the flash drive version)