PDA

View Full Version : Hi all.

gsxr1000au
10-17-2010, 04:38 AM
I decided that instead of paying someone thousands of dollars to build me a business website i'd have a crack at it myself.

I'm making some progress and loving being able to put my design idea's into a working site.

So far most of my learning has been through watching various tutorial videos but they (of course) dont always cover every scenario that your trying to figure out.... Which brings me here :)

Corrosive
10-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I decided that instead of paying someone thousands of dollars to build me a business website i'd have a crack at it myself.

I'm making some progress and loving being able to put my design idea's into a working site.

So far most of my learning has been through watching various tutorial videos but they (of course) dont always cover every scenario that your trying to figure out.... Which brings me here :)

Welcome to the forum. Just an observation from having viewed your site in your other post I answered but what is the e-commerce platform you are basing it on? I think you need to decide that before you go diving in! We offer Prestashop for e-commerce and would thoroughly recommend getting something like that deployed so you aren't left figuring out how to get it all to work. It's like putting your design on an already functioning shopping site.

Worth thinking about! I reckon you've done a good job with the layout so far though. :)

gsxr1000au
10-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks again Corrosive.

Where can I find this Prestashop?

Edit: Never mind, I found it :)

Will have a good look :)

gsxr1000au
10-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I have set it up on my site..

It looks good but i have absolutely no idea where to start on editing it to look like my design though.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Corrosive
10-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I start by duplicating the prestashop design folder, naming it what I want my theme to be called and then just start editing the CSS etc. Firefox developers tools is really handy for that :)

gsxr1000au
10-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I cant locate a designs folder.

gsxr1000au
10-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I really have no clue what to do with prestacart.. Unless you're free for some one on one training Corrosive??

I'm thinking it may be easier to add something like zencart to my existing design :confused:

Corrosive
10-18-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm thinking it may be easier to add something like zencart to my existing design :confused:

OK, I may have rushed you a bit. You are clearly just getting the basics of HTML and CSS down. This is exactly what you should be doing so it is good. I didn't mean for you to start beating yourself up over Prestashop but just to give your platform some consideration as you go along.

I didn't want you to end you with a great design but no functionality!

Zencart will give you the same issues as Prestashop when it comes to adding your own design. They work in similar ways. It's all about creating your own theme.

Anyhoo, sorry if I rushed you into anything. Learning all this does take some time so make sure you have realistic goals. You won't be up and trading by next week! Take your time, have fun :)

Corrosive
10-18-2010, 06:09 AM
By the way, can you tell me where I need to go for someone to pay me...

thousands of dollars to build me a business website

...would love to earn that for a site. Who did you ask for quotes from? They must have some kind of brass neck to charge that!

gsxr1000au
10-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Well if you had some free time and you could talk me though where to start on prestacart (perhaps on MSN or something) id like to give it a go otherwise i think it might be a little too much to take on for a first project.

Most places here charge from $2000AUD for a basic site and the sky is the limit.. Rip off hey..

Corrosive
10-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Most places here charge from $2000AUD for a basic site and the sky is the limit.. Rip off hey..

Hey, I'm booking my plane ticket! If you just want an 'off the shelf', open source store styled to how you want it then that seems a lot. Seeing as the platform is free to download and use that is 95% of the work done.

I can understand thousands for a bespoke item, built from the ground up, because that is a fair few weeks work.

Oh well :)

I could give you some guidance but am on a couple of really tight deadlines for sites at the moment. Carry on perfecting your design for the time being. As I said, don't expect that you'll have this up and running anytime soon. It takes quite a while to learn the skills needed to skin and configure a store, even if the platform is free ;)

gsxr1000au
10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Ok i'll carry on designing my page layout then hit you up when you perhaps have a little more time on your hands to help me move it over to prestacart. I'll of course be happy to pay for your help.. :)