PDA

View Full Version : Learn CSS?!?!?!?

tony09uk
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Day three of dreamweaver and post two of this forum and it already apparent I need to learn a new language! What is my best plan of action to learn CSS? and Do I need to know HTML to do so? Can I learn the basics quickly? I have no intention of becoming a dreamweaver guru. I just want to put my idea on the net.

Is there an alternative to learning this new language and still keep the freedom to create whats in my mind?

gentleone
10-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Can I learn the basics quickly?
It really depends how quick you adapt the theory behind it.
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/html-css-beginners-guide

Is there an alternative to learning this new language and still keep the freedom to create whats in my mind?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this, but with CSS you can lay out the most complicated designs. But this will take some time and effort to learn which is up to you.

Corrosive
10-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Day three of dreamweaver and post two of this forum and it already apparent I need to learn a new language! What is my best plan of action to learn CSS? and Do I need to know HTML to do so? Can I learn the basics quickly? I have no intention of becoming a dreamweaver guru. I just want to put my idea on the net.

Did you run through that tutorial I found for you? It really is very good. I'm afraid you do have to learn web design to create a website (did I really just have to explain that?) but a basic layout really shouldn't take you too long to get right. There aren't really any corners you can cut.

If you don't wanna learn then hire someone who can. Simple as that really :)

tony09uk
10-14-2010, 07:28 AM
The reason I got dreamweaver was so I didnt have to learn a new language. I thought it had progressed to a point that a WISIWYG editor was basically drag and drop

edbr
10-14-2010, 07:34 AM
frankly thats the impression given and to an extent its true but it is far from being perfect, it is a great tool for design but withought a bit of understanding things can go wrong or at least less thaan perfect. you can and learn as you go , dreamweaver css based templates will help as i hope this forum will

kearnsy
10-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Stick at it Tony, when it clicks into place, it'll be worth all the effort

Corrosive
10-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Stick at it Tony, when it clicks into place, it'll be worth all the effort

Totally agree. DW is a development tool but it's still only as good as the knowledge of the person using it. Hang on in there and spend a few weeks learning the basics and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

There are 8,000 members here who can testify!

tony09uk
10-18-2010, 07:42 PM
thanks guys. It's slowly coming together, I keep doing little projects I find round the internet.

jacksparrow
10-20-2010, 07:22 AM
The Dreamweaver Missing Manual is my favorite. Everything made sense after reading it. Except for the floats and clears.......div positions are tricky

edbr
10-20-2010, 08:03 AM
read it again thety are not so bad just use relative positioning , float left and float right are what they say, literally. it might help if you think of clear as 'starting a new line" in your layout
this is more a guideline than a rule

gentleone
10-20-2010, 08:16 AM
This article (it includes examples) made me understand back then what a float applied to an element does to your layout and thus how to use them properly. It was a real eyeopener for me.

This one is just the basics, but better to study all of the pages.
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/introduction.htm

Bill Pitts
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Another good book in the Missing Manuals series is "CSS: The Missing Manual" as well as "CSS Mastery" by Andy Budd. With these two, I got up to speed (well, somewhat stumbling at times, but they did help me improve my coding!) on understanding and using CSS.

I heartily recommend these two!

Bill

tony09uk
10-21-2010, 10:59 PM
cool thanks!

Bill Pitts
10-22-2010, 12:41 AM
You're welcome, Tony!

In case you're interested, you can see my progress on my personal website (http://www.newsouthernview.com). Click on the Table of Contents (site map) and you can then look at the pages to which I've applied what I've learned about using Cascading Style Sheets. I have them marked with a red X.

Read all you can get your hands on, learn as much as you can, and don't rely on hit-and-miss as a way to figure out HTML coding and CSS as there's really only one way to do it. The other ways lead to nothing but confusion and unnecessary coding that doesn't work half of the time.

Bill

Rocky
10-22-2010, 09:29 AM
CSS are the fundamental technologies of the web and are the language of all web pages on the Internet. HTML and CSS is the most basic thing that you have to learn to be a web developer. Online tutorial site are the best to learn this language step by step systematically. CSS are very simple to learn but hard to master.

fake sig removed

Bill Pitts
10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree however one is most comfortable with learning, be it through manuals or online tutorials a sound knowledge of HTML and CSS is a requirement. But good design sense is also extremely important.

A website can be technically correct, with proper coding and styles applied, yet be an extreme eyesore or laughable at best, if the web developer hasn't any sense of design.

Bill

Ricky55
10-23-2010, 08:22 PM
That's a great point bill. All to often this seems to be ignored. It's good that people are learning HTML and CSS but you do need an eye for design to make a site that users will want to visit.

d a v e
10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
this is a good reference for design usability
http://uxmovement.com/about

and smashing mag has some good stuff too
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/

Rocky
11-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Css is a style sheet language used to describe the presentation of a document written in a markup language. It is commonly used to style web pages written in HTML and XHTML. It has become one of the most popular languages in web designing because of its features that made designing a lot easier to learn.

(http://sitepoint.com)