PDA

View Full Version : merging colums and professional menu's

tony09uk
10-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi guys, this is my first time on her and have only been using dreamweaver for two days now....please forgive any stupid questions.

I will put all my questions I have so far in this one section to save clogging up the system to much.

Q1 - problems with tables!

I am currently trying to create a template 900pixels wide
Row 1: two coloums (413, 469 px) - DONE
Row 2: one coloum - DONE
now this is the complicated part for me...
Row 3: four colums (414, 94, 148, 220px) NOT DONE
Row 4: two coloums (663, 219 px.....i tried 662, 220 px but it kept jumpin back to 219:s)
Row 5: two coloums (663, 219 px and the same problem again)

a)how do i merge the last coloum together on rows 3,4 and 5?
b)also why is it jumping to a number and not the one I asked it to go to?
c)how do I add additional rows to my table?

Q2 - professional looking menu bar

I have added a spry table to row two but it looks dull and very amature-ish (i know i am but it don't want the site to look like it) I created an image in photoshop to put on the menu but cant work out how to do it

a)how do i add a professional look to a spry menu bar?
b)do i do the same to add the same to the drop down menu's from the bar?
c)why does my insert>image objects only have "placeholder" "rollover images" and fireworks HTML"? a youtube video I saw in his options "navigation bar"

Q3 - tabbed menu bar

I am looking to put a lot of information on my page and to make the site tidy i want to section much of it on the one page. I have seen tabbed menu's such as this one http://www.nyokiglitter.com/tutorials/tabs.html just in a different colour. I have tried using spry tabbed panels and inserting it into row 4. but it dosn't look like I want it to and it seems to be quite spread out - the content sits in row 4 while the tabs are up in row 1, but when I preview it, it looks fine, just an unprofessional edge again.

a)how do i get it to look like the example?
b)how do I get it to look similar or the same in the editor as it does in the browser
c)if I save this as part of my template will it be an editable item?

I know that was a long one but hopefully it will get my main current issues out the way. If you know of any good tutorial sites I would be greatful of any links. I have found a couple of average ones.

Thanks guys

edbr
10-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Q1 - problems with tables!
A! dont use them for layout. use relative positioned dives . Tables are old and bad news to be used for layout

edbr
10-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Q2 - professional looking menu bar
perhaps if you use images as background. hard to say without seeing it

edbr
10-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Q3 - tabbed menu bar
see A1 that might cure your problem

DWcourse
10-13-2010, 03:38 AM
2C: That option is not available in "modern" versions of Dreamweaver (it produced crappy, non-standard html).

DWcourse
10-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Q1: Try the built in layouts that are available in Dreamweaver:

Menu: File>New then select Blank Page, Page Type: HTML and one of the several 1, 2 or 3 column layouts. Click create.

tony09uk
10-13-2010, 09:34 AM
thanks for your reply I will try them out and get back with more questions.....