PDA

View Full Version : SoThink Tree Menu Help

kearnsy
10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi Folks, i'm not too sure where i'm going with this one but i'll try my best

I'm playing around with a program called SoThink Tree Menu, i think it's a javascript nav menu maker, anyway i made a menu and when i click on live view, it shows up, but when i switch back to design view nothing shows up

In the included help file it says this....

4. Why I can not see the tree menu in the page?

Please check if you uploaded js files, or if you uploaded the js files to the correct directory. Once setting the web path for the tree menu, you should upload the js files to corresponding directory; if you do not set the web path for the tree menu, please put the js files in the same directory with the menu pages.

Does this mean that i have to upload it to a server or something?

It frustrating as i want to add the links for the home, about us pages etc. but there's nothing showing up except in live view?

Sorry if the info is sketchy chaps

Cheers

d a v e
10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
can't you just add the links in code view?

also check the help files for adding links

DWcourse
10-13-2010, 04:45 AM
Dreamweaver's Design view doesn't parse JavaScript so it can't show you a menu that requires Javascript (although I would have thought that you'd at least have a list of the menu items somewhere).

Depending upon how SoThink works you may be able to add the menu items in the code of the page. If not, it looks like you'll have to rebuild the menu in SoThink and place it on your page again.

kearnsy
10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
ok cheers guys

kearnsy
10-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I've managed to work out what to do, but i have a quick question about javascript menus if you don't mind?

I noticed when i preview the page in internet explorer the active x blocked thing appears, and the menu doesn't appear until you click accept

Would you say then that it's a bad idea to use a javascript menu, as

A: the menu doesn't appear until you accept the active x

B: people might think that you're trying to install rouge scripting code onto their pc

that's my initial thought anyway

DWcourse
10-13-2010, 06:56 PM
That only happens when you try to view the page from the copy on your local computer, It doesn't happen when someone views your page from a web server. So it's not really an issue. However, to get around the issue you can insert a "mark of the web" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537628(VS.85).aspx

kearnsy
10-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Ahhh, i see, ok thanks DW