PDA

View Full Version : Template wont transfer over

TeamLupeRealEstate
10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Ok, so at work i use a laptop, that has all of my programs on rthere that belong to me, like fireworks, flash etc. I do have dreamweaver on my work desktop though. So i finaly got the template for the new site done on my laptop. I need to make 3 other temlates, but i figured to speed up oroduction time i could put the finished template on the desktop and let my marketing assistant go ahead and make like the 15 pages that, that template was made for, while i make the other 3. So i put the whole folder site on my tumbdrive and transfer it to my work desktop. I changed the local site to the new folder and tryed to make a new page with that template, it says it reads the template but when the new page comes up, it is missing alot of things. I made alot of CSS styles for the background, when i exported the template from fireworks i made every table block into the background css style so it could repeat down if the content made it expand.
But when i open the page it looks like none of the CSS styles are working........ I hope i explained it right.... please help! i need to finish this site this week

DWcourse
10-11-2010, 08:13 PM
It sounds like you may not have set up the site correctly in the first place so you ended up linking to some files outside your web folder or the links were written directly to files on your harddrive in the format "fille:///etc." So when you moved the site folder, the linked files can't be found.

Look at your code and make sure that all links to CSS, JavaScript and image files start with the file name of the file linked to or ../ or /

TeamLupeRealEstate
10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
well i am needing to do the template all over again. So i have to start from scratch. What would be the right way to set up the site so that this wi8ll not happen when it is done again?

DWcourse
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
There's a tutorial on this site at http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php. And I have one on my site at http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver-mini-course (name and email address required).

Corrosive
10-12-2010, 07:10 AM
If you go to Manage Sites it has the option to import/export. Try using this when transferring sites. But, yes, absolutely follow JCs tut and course because defining your site correctly in the first place will avoid so many of these issues.

BTW, why the crazy deadline when you are clearly a beginner? I don't get it?

d a v e
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
"when i exported the template from fireworks i made every table block into the background css style so it could repeat down if the content made it expand. "
that sounds nasty - fireworks html is not for production work, only prototyping. and tables are for tabular data, not layouts.

have you tried rebuilding the site cache from the site menu?