PDA

View Full Version : How do I map links to a background image?

d3v
10-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Hi all.

I've decided to re-do my website by using images as much as possible.
All of my pages on my website are background images that contain all the text and images on my website.

The problem I'm now facing is that I cannot map links to the various images on my background images in dreamweaver.

Please can someone tell me a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

DWcourse
10-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Sounds like a bad plan. Your text should be actual html text. And generally background images should be just that, backgrounds.

Corrosive
10-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Sounds like a bad plan. Your text should be actual html text. And generally background images should be just that, backgrounds.

Totally agree. Don't use text in images. Search Engines and screen readers can't read it. Your website will just be a bunch of images. Time for a rethink!

d3v
10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I have written my index page in HTML, which is key-word rich and properly coded to attract high-ranking on google.

Will just having the index page HTML and the other pages as images be okay?

gentleone
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I have written my index page in HTML, which is key-word rich and properly coded to attract high-ranking on google.

Will just having the index page HTML and the other pages as images be okay?

No! If the google bot will crawl your site and it doesn't notice any changes in your HTML text you will never get higher ranked. It works pretty much the other way... you will get lower and lower in the results until your vanished.
I don't know where you have putted your keywords, but if you use the meta tag for this then it won't help that much anyway. Google and other major search engines ignore the meta keywords tag these days, because it has been misused over the last decade.

d3v
10-06-2010, 11:55 AM
well this is my website at the moment www.bridgford-repair.co.uk and it has been number 1 on google for the past year for keyword strings such as "west bridgford pc repair" ect.

the reason it is number 1 ranking is becuase I've done a lot of back linking to other websites, and some meta data tricks.

My plan is to simply retain the index page and make all the other pages images, so it looks better. I am more proficient in photoshop than dreamweaver, you see.

gentleone
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
well this is my website at the moment www.bridgford-repair.co.uk (http://www.bridgford-repair.co.uk) and it has been number 1 on google for the past year for keyword strings such as "west bridgford pc repair" ect.

the reason it is number 1 ranking is becuase I've done a lot of back linking to other websites, and some meta data tricks.

I think the reason that you're number 1 with this keyword phrase is because the phrase is in your domain name.

My plan is to simply retain the index page and make all the other pages images, so it looks better. I am more proficient in photoshop than dreamweaver, you see.

Why not just ask your Dreamweaver questions here? A webpage only out of images has naver been a good strategy and I assume it never will be.

Corrosive
10-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Agree with the comments of the others. Any pages that are all images are a bad idea. You may as well just stick a big photo of some Z-list celeb up there (Jordan maybe?) and have done with it as each page will be a waste of your time and effort.

You have two options as I see it; get better at web design or (dare I suggest) hire someone.

d a v e
10-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm free!

for a small price :)