PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to have pdfs on my hard drive for website to work?

KathyF
10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Everybody,

I'm doing a little web design work for my neighbor who is an author. He has given me his 300+ published technical articles that he wants included on his website. These articles are in .pdf format and I currently have them on CDs. These .pdfs are each about 3MB and I really hate to put them on my hard drive for fear of filling up my hard drive.

1.) Is there a way for me to ftp them to his site without me having to save them in the Dreamweaver directory I have set up for him on my hard drive?

2.) If so, how do I make the links in my local folder so that this works?

Any thoughts?

I'm a newbie so please anwer in very simple language! :roll:

Thanks,
Kathy

edbr
10-05-2010, 01:58 AM
use a third party software like filezilla then you can trace a path to your cd drive (i think)

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 07:21 AM
That's still only roughly 900mb. Not even a Gig. That shouldn't fill your hard drive. I'd do it once, get it out of the way and then delete them from your PC again.

edbr
10-05-2010, 07:44 AM
i just looked you can navigate to cd drive or just drag and drop with fillezilla no need to put on your hard drive at all

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Good skills Ed. Didn't know you could do that. I thought the folders had to match like the site structure in DW. Useful to know :)

d a v e
10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
although it might be easier to link to them if you copy to your HD first (easier to find the file names when you link