PDA

View Full Version : How to get Word doc with link into web page doc?

Abbica
10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi, I have a word document which I have inserted imagery and a table with links on it. I have this saved and now I want to save it as a web page so we can email this document out to people and they can click on the links. But, when I save it as a web page it comes across all over the page, the text spreads to the right off the screen and the imagery is all over the place. Is there anyway to get this fixed so I can email this through outlook or is there a better way of doing this, in dreamweaver etc. We need the document to be a MHTML document as it is only compatible with my co-workers mail merging software.
Any help or suggestions with this is greatly appreciated.

edbr
10-05-2010, 02:15 AM
you can email using a html page , you have to either use inlne styling or you can use a style tag but you have to put it in the body section or it gets stripped out if in the head by google and yahoo (and hotmail i think).
generally its advised to make content at 550 px wide for viewing in mail programs.
if you want you can save the page in outlooks stationary folder and use it from there also

Abbica
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. So do up a html page and use Css styling to make it work. When you say you have to put it in the body section, I don't actually know what you mean, do you mean, no head tags or footers, just create one big Container and input all info in their including tables etc.? Then when I am done I can insert it in outlook using their html outlook option?

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
That's basically how it works. Imagine your page starts and ends with <body></body> and your divs use CSS like;

<div style="color: #000;">Text</div>

That's what we mean by inline styles. Personally I'd recommend a service such as Mail Chimp that has some pre-built templates for you to use. It is a lot easier.

edbr
10-05-2010, 09:51 AM
i use both a software for newsletters but i also use outlook for other stuff by saving your html file in (windows) program files > Common Files > microsoft shared> stationary, it is available then to outlook

Abbica
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks, looking into mailchimp at the moment, sounds good if I can find a free template?

Can I just ask something that is bugging me. When I create a new style for my container, see below and then apply my div tag, why is it saying a p id tag and not saying div id?
#Container {
width: 550px;
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
position: relative;
height: auto;
}

<body>
<p id="Container">&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Because you are styling a paragraph and not a div.

edbr
10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
i use pommo comes with some basic templates as does mailist if i recall

Abbica
10-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Ok, I fear the stupid police have landed on my brain again but I have just created a new document, new style sheet, created a new Advanced ID div for my container, applied it, how to I make it a div then, if I am creating a style for a paragraph.

edbr
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
change <p id="Container"> and </p> for <div id="Container"> ad </div>

Abbica
10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks edbr, I did that, just annoying that I have to do that everytime, why won't it go in as a div au natural. One of those decrepit things here to annoy me I assume!

Abbica
10-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi, I have finished the online marketing newsletter in Dreamweaver, used inline styling like you said, saved as a html doc but when I go to outlook to try and get it to go via email, by going to Tools>Options>Mail Format>Signatures etc.... it doesn't come in properly, it is still all over the place and the imagery is missing, is there something I am missing here, as my html document contains all the styles etc???

I went to advanced editing on the outlook and it says there is a missing file which is the StyleSheet but all the styles are at the top of my html doc? I copied and pasted my styles from the stylesheet onto the top of the html doc, is this the wrong way to do it?

gentleone
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
It's quite a process if you want to send a HTML mailing through Outlook. If you have Publisher in your Microsoft Office pack then it's much easier (but still a process) to copy your HTML in there en send it through Publisher (Outlook integration). You have to upload also all your images to a webserver and use absolute paths (full urls) to link to them in your HTML mail.

So bottom line is better to use a service like mailchimp because they're experts in this and the chance that your HTML mailing looks pretty much the same in all those e-mail clients out there is much, much bigger then if you do it yourself through outlook/publisher.

Abbica
10-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks but they need this asap and it will take 3 days to unlock mailchimp out of restricted access through IT so I have to figure this out now.

I have put all my images in a generic folder on my cdrive which I have linked them to and it is working that way, the only thing that isn't working are the styles, do you know how I might attach these styles to the html. My container has spread off across the page and wont stay at the designated 550pixels. All I need now is my styles to stick and it will work for me. I have a seperate stylesheet but I also copied all those styles into the top of my html doc?

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I think you may have misunderstood what we have told you. Firstly any images must be hosted externally and referenced using full URL paths if they are to be seen by recipients of the e-mail. Recipients don't have access to your C Drive so that is pointless.

Secondly we didn't say put the styles in the head tags. Ed said (yesterday I think) that head tags are stripped out by mail clients so styles must be inline like the example I gave you.

You really would be better to wait for Mail Chimp.

Why on earth do you keep getting these jobs anyway? Where do you work that they have asked someone with no experience to do all this? Highly unfair if you ask me!

gentleone
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
If you link your images from your hard drive then it will work, but then all the images will be attached to the email. If you use a lot of images in the mailing the recipients will get an email that will be in the Mb's which takes extra download time to open the mail.
Therefore all the images on a server so that you only send the text and table layout.

If you really want to go for the DIY way here's a good article for you to read:
http://24ways.org/2009/rock-solid-html-emails

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Some mail exchanges will flatly refuse to let your mails through with images or will at least consign them straight to the spam box. If you host them then the mail will get through as it is HTML and the user has the option to go live and get the associated images.

You can't take the risk so host them.

gentleone
10-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes, that's probably another downside of linking the images from your hard drive and to be honest the last time I send a homemade HTML email I can't remember so long. Too much hassle and headaches... viva la mail chimp :)

Corrosive
10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
viva la mail chimp :)

Totally agree with this. Couldn't live without that cheeky chimp :mrgreen:

Abbica
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Why on earth do you keep getting these jobs anyway? Where do you work that they have asked someone with no experience to do all this? Highly unfair if you ask me!

I laughed when I read this! I work in a place that doesn't want to employ someone else/pay for someone with web design etc experience so the poor graphic designer has to learn from scratch but secretly, I think this is a cover up to make me leave through a case of insanity!

I will await mailchimp so, will just have to explain to them. When using mailchimp, do you have to upload all the addresses to their system for it to email out. Is this the only way to export your newsletters for example?

gentleone
10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
When using mailchimp, do you have to upload all the addresses to their system for it to email out. Is this the only way to export your newsletters for example?

It depends on where you have those e-mail addresses stored, but you can import them to your mail chimp database several ways.

http://www.mailchimp.com/kb/article/how-do-i-create-and-import-my-list

Corrosive
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I laughed when I read this! I work in a place that doesn't want to employ someone else/pay for someone with web design etc experience so the poor graphic designer has to learn from scratch but secretly, I think this is a cover up to make me leave through a case of insanity!

I guess you've tried explaining that the skills required are quite different! Oh well, I guess we all get a bit of this at work... 'oh just learn how to...' is a phrase I remember being used far too much in the workplace.

Mind you, if they support you with some training then great because you can benefit as well.