PDA

View Full Version : Meta description and Keywords

patodjs
10-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Hi

I'm still working on my site and putting content and I added a meta description and keywords for every page is a very simple site. based on content and information.

my site is www.allmoneylovers.ws

as you can see when you type ( money lovers ) on google my site is 2nd but google shows my page title correctly but that is not showing the meta description that I added (Personal Development and The Law of attraction, information, articles and tips on how to create the life you always wanted) and Im not even sure if the keywords are working !!!

so the question is im very new with html is there any error with it? why google is not taking the meta description? what could be the error?

Thank you !!!

edbr
10-04-2010, 06:39 AM
you have it in styles + a comment before it

<!--<meta name="Description" content="Personal Development and The Law of attraction, information, articles and tips on how to create the life you always wanted." />
<meta name="Keywords" content="Law of attraction personal development personality development self development create the life you want the secret law of attraction tips personal growth create goals how to reach goals free articles attraction" />#apDiv1 {

move it a and search engines will see it will get it

patodjs
10-04-2010, 07:31 AM
thanks for you quick response but....

what do you mean move it? on what part of the html code should I put it??

edbr
10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Put in the head section but not in the style tag where you have it now

DWcourse
10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Looking at Google's cached version of your page it appears that the newer version with the description hasn't been indexed yet.

Be aware that Google often pulls content from the page that it considers relevant and displays it even if you include a description.

Also, I see you at #9 for the money lovers search (not #2). There could be a couple of reasons:

1. You could be logged into Google and so are seeing results that Google considers more relevant to you.
2. Google seems to consider your site to be Canadian so, if you're searching from Canada, you rank higher that for folks searching from the U.S.

edbr
10-05-2010, 02:30 AM
i found it 2nd position, page 2

patodjs
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
thank you guys for your help.

I would really appreciate if somebody can quickly check to code and tell me if everything is good now!!!

www.allmoneylovers.ws

I only changed the index Ill start to work on the other pages later.

By the way I found the answer for the position of my website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXt23AXlJJU

Thank you very much !!!

Corrosive
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
You need to take the duplicates out...

<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
<link href="file:///C|/Users/Patto/Documents/all money lovers/templates/templatestyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

and also the third line seems to reference your hard drive. Are you sure that is what you want??

patodjs
10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
but is the meta description under the title on the right place?

<title>Free Personal Development Coaching Learn about the law of Attraction and Create The life you desire - All Money Lovers</title>
<meta name="Description" content="Free Personal Development articles and information, learn about related topics like the law of attraction and more." />
<meta name="Keywords" content="Law of attraction personal development personality development self development create the life you want the secret law of attraction tips personal growth create goals how to reach goals the secret" />

<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
<link href="file:///C|/Users/Patto/Documents/all money lovers/templates/templatestyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->

That is part of the template Im not able to edit that code on my index page. but I can edit it. you mean take tags out of this area? and Im sorry but I dont understand that link to my desktop that is the folder where I keep the site's files. but what's wrong with it?

edbr
10-07-2010, 02:21 AM
but as a visitor to your live site how can i access the file on your computer??
make it point to a file on your server.

also you still have this which is what i repeatedly mentioned. the red is clearly not a style so delete it

<style type="text/css">

<!--<meta name="Description" content="Personal Development and The Law of attraction, information, articles and tips on how to create the life you always wanted." />
<meta name="Keywords" content="Law of attraction personal development personality development self development create the life you want the secret law of attraction tips personal growth create goals how to reach goals free articles attraction" />#apDiv1 {
position:absolute;
left:37px;
top:384px;
width:300px;
height:250px;
z-index:1;
}

patodjs
10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
ok thank you very much I changed my code already and It looks better I hope google show my meta description now.

by the way I removed the link that was pointing to my hard drive there was no point to have it there. I usually look at the design view thats why I had a mess on my code. good to know and Ill start to use the split view to check everything.

thanks again guys

gentleone
10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
good to know and Ill start to use the split view to check everything.

Good... that's the way! Keep working in split view, because that's how I learned to understand code when I was working in design view.

Corrosive
10-08-2010, 07:04 AM
I think the thing that finally drove me to code was trying to implement Lightbox2. That's when I finally dived in and haven't looked back. You have so much more control and can work so much better if you know how to code.

It also becomes second nature before long and you start to abandon design view all together because you can actually see how bad the DW written code is!

DWcourse
10-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Well, I have to take a small exception. I think you can create good code using design view but you have to understand CSS and html to do it.

But I agree that taking the leap into code is very liberating and Dreamweaver offers a lot of tools that make coding easier.

Dreamweaver is like anything else, if you take the easy way, the results reflect that. If you learn to use it properly as a tool (whether the Code View or the Design view) your efforts will be rewarded with a better website.

Corrosive
10-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Well, I have to take a small exception. I think you can create good code using design view but you have to understand CSS and html to do it.

OK, that's a fair comment and don't forget I only have DW MX4 (I know, how old?) and the logic is probably much improved in later versions so I'll make the caveat that I am talking about my experiences and not a full reflection of Design View capability.

DWcourse
10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
don't forget I only have DW MX4

My Datsun B210 doesn't run too well either!

Seriously, you could throw away design view and I'd still use DW CS5 (of course I'd complain about the price even more than I do now)

Corrosive
10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
of course I'd complain about the price even more than I do now

That's the thing that stops me from upgrading. I can't see what extra use I'd get out of it when my comfort zone is now hand coding.

nwcountry
10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I wanted you to know how impressed I am with your website and the meta tags/keywords you used to get you to the first page of Google. I am using your site as well as your note on Meta tags to "try" to explain to the people that hired me why I need them to get me content for their website. Long story. Anyway, I wondered if you wouldn't mind telling me how long it took you to get to the first page of Google?

Thanks so much, Denise

Hi

I'm still working on my site and putting content and I added a meta description and keywords for every page is a very simple site. based on content and information.

my site is www.allmoneylovers.ws (http://www.allmoneylovers.ws)

as you can see when you type ( money lovers ) on google my site is 2nd but google shows my page title correctly but that is not showing the meta description that I added (Personal Development and The Law of attraction, information, articles and tips on how to create the life you always wanted) and Im not even sure if the keywords are working !!!

so the question is im very new with html is there any error with it? why google is not taking the meta description? what could be the error?

Thank you !!!

DWcourse
10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Meta keywords and descriptions won't get you to the top of Google. The major search engines have stated that they don't use them in ranking pages in their results. The keyword tag is essentially useless. The description tag serves a valuable function but improving your search ranking isn't it.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of variables that affect search ranking. Probably the most important is good quality, relevant links to your site.

How long it takes to get to the top of the rankings will depend upon how competitive the search term is and how much effort you put forth. I have sites that rank immediately for certain terms but, unfortunately, people rarely search for them.

While it's nice to rank for "money lovers" (I see the site at #10), the real questions are: Does the ranking send traffic to the site? and Does that traffic convert? I suspect it doesn't.

patodjs
10-11-2010, 11:32 PM
hi

well honest answer about the SEO of my site.

my website is about personal development and thats the keyword that I wanted to rank high for and basically you have to think what people is going to type to find your site and I dont think they are going to type money lovers to find information about personal development. I moved this site to a new address www.creating-yourlife.com im working on my 301 redirect now.

google doesnt use the keyword meta tag, regardless I want to get targeted traffic and this site is not getting it.

there is many factor that can help you get better ranking and the big one is get other sites link to your site, google take that as a vote for your site even better if that site is linking to you and your not linking to them, mean that person likes your site and for google means good quality content.

Ill keep working on my seo with my new address, and see....

nwcountry
10-12-2010, 12:05 AM
That makes good sense. Because I was trying so hard to help the owners understand how websites work, as far as getting traffic, I appreciate the guys post. I didn't look heavy into anything else. He does know about the keyword thing but now, after hearing what you have to say, I realize that there are better ways to insure people find you, and, then, make your site someplace they can trust and continue doing biz with.

If you can recommend anything I can read to understand the best ways to market your site, or, get traffic, I am open for suggestions.

Anything free "and" good is appreciated but also, I understand I may have to pay something to get some really good advice. Thanks, Denise

hi

well honest answer about the SEO of my site.

my website is about personal development and thats the keyword that I wanted to rank high for and basically you have to think what people is going to type to find your site and I dont think they are going to type money lovers to find information about personal development. I moved this site to a new address www.creating-yourlife.com (http://www.creating-yourlife.com) im working on my 301 redirect now.

google doesnt use the keyword meta tag, regardless I want to get targeted traffic and this site is not getting it.

there is many factor that can help you get better ranking and the big one is get other sites link to your site, google take that as a vote for your site even better if that site is linking to you and your not linking to them, mean that person likes your site and for google means good quality content.

Ill keep working on my seo with my new address, and see....

edbr
10-12-2010, 02:12 AM
as the keyword use keeps rising though this article by matt cutts , googles deep throat spells it out
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keywords-meta-tag-in-web-search/

nwcountry
10-12-2010, 02:15 AM
I'll take a look at it now:) Denise

PS Edbr, I can't thank you enough for that, that is such good info. I know the people with the cranberry bogs won't understand it but at least I have learned something valuable for my future website building. Thank you again, Denise

PSS by the way, when I was gabbin with a lot of people doing Affiliate Marketing, they were goin nuts with those keywords, yeah, I can understand Google not wanting websites that used, say, the work chocolate every other word, geesh!!! Stupid articles with so much repetition thinking they would flood the first page of search engines. I thought it was cr_p then and now I know my gut instinct was right.

as the keyword use keeps rising though this article by matt cutts , googles deep throat spells it out

DWcourse
10-12-2010, 05:07 AM

Of course, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to question the veracity of Google. (I did the logo for these guys: http://gevil.org/) :twisted:

patodjs
10-12-2010, 07:29 AM
I'll take a look at it now:) Denise

PS Edbr, I can't thank you enough for that, that is such good info. I know the people with the cranberry bogs won't understand it but at least I have learned something valuable for my future website building. Thank you again, Denise

Hi there's a lot of help out there but on my own personal experience I have learn so many thing from the google webmaster forums and videos you can check out their youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleWebmasterHelp

Regards

DWcourse
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
my site is not optimizing on search engines although i am applying all the off page techniques .
could anyone suggest me what changes should i made in my meta to secure a good ranking.

Changes to your meta data won't insure good rankings. Read the whole thread here for suggestions.

domedia
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
could anyone suggest me what changes should i made in my meta to secure a good ranking. Like Ed said, the meta tags will not affect your ranking.

What is your website URL?