PDA

View Full Version : Publishing a site to the web?

Abbica
10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi, I have never done this before and I can't seem to formulate how to go about this or if it is right but I have a website done in a folder on my desktop. I want to get this up on the web. How do I do this as the company who I am doing this for want me to hand over the site to do the updates themselves? They already have a website up their, they just want me to copy over it with this new site.
Is there a step by step guide for me to do this. Do I need any extra software to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated with this.
Thanks.

DWcourse
10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
You need an ftp program and the username and password for accessing the server. I'd probably pull down a copy of the existing site first, delete it and then upload your files. But I'm reluctant to try to give step by step instructions without knowing the set up.

Abbica
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks DW, that is a help anyway to know the basics first. Can I ask, can I give a disc to the hosting company and ask them to do it as I don't have an ftp program and neither do the people that own the site, they have no web skills at all? Is it ok to do this?

Corrosive
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Dreamweaver has built in FTP. Go to manage sites, type in the FTP information (you can get this from the hosts) and then you should be able to see the remote files (on the server). Delete the old site and then upload the new files. I'd doubt hosts would do this for you though you might be lucky.

Abbica
10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi Corrosive, Thanks for that. I will get the info off the hosts and see how I fair, if all else fails, beg for them to take the disc!

Corrosive
10-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Have just mailed you :)

DWcourse
10-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi Corrosive, Thanks for that. I will get the info off the hosts and see how I fair, if all else fails, beg for them to take the disc!

I can't imagine a hosting company (except possibly a small local company) being willing to do this. And, I hope this doesn't sound rude, but what are you doing designing websites if you don't understand some very basic principals of using the Internet? You kind of have the cart before the horse. Learn the basics and start small.

davidmamal49
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Video tutorial to learn how to use FTP to publish your website created with Dreamweaver:

http://www.threehosts.com/images/dreamweaver.jpg

Hope this helps.

edbr
10-04-2010, 03:15 AM
i removed your link. the premise of this forum is to help and show solutions on site. making a first post and advertising an external site could easily be considered as spamming. i am giving you the benefit of the doubt and just removed the link this time