PDA

View Full Version : Tumblr

ICEband
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm not even sure if this is the right place to plat this, but I'm sure some kind soul will move it ifit's wrong.

I'm building a website, and would like to have a home page which shows the first few lines of our blog, which is on Tumblr.

Looking of the Tumblr site it says something about fetching a page and then a load of code.
As I'm a complete newbie to this, I really have no idea what it's talking about.
Please help and please be patient
Here's the link to what Tumblr says, if that's any help
http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/api

Ta Muchly:oops:
PS Tumblr provides a short piece of code for it, but that just shows the whole blog and every blog one after the other, making my page kinda er big:shock:

gentleone
09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I had quick read and it says that you can change the number of posts that will be shown. By default it's 20 and the maximum is 50. So if you set this to 1 then you'll have only the last post of your blog on your site. You probably can also change somewhere that it only shows the title of the blog post.

ICEband
09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks

But how do I do this fetch the page thing it's talking about?

Or do I just copy the code from there and put it in my site?

See, told you they'd be stupid questions:oops:

gentleone
09-28-2010, 09:16 AM
It will make an XML file from it and normally you need an RSS service (http://web2.econsultant.com/rss-feeds-readers-aggregators-management-services.html) where you can host your XML file and then you can parse the RSS feed with PHP or JavaScript on your website. Dd you ask already at Tumblr support what is recommended?

ICEband
09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow, I think I may be doing the 100 metres before I can walk!
:???:

ICEband
09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Dd you ask already at Tumblr support what is recommended?
er no:oops:
I just assumed it would be a kind of copy n paste code thing, well, hoped more than assumed, really

gentleone
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
er no:oops:
I just assumed it would be a kind of copy n paste code thing, well, hoped more than assumed, really

Well, it is quite a copy/paste thing and only changing values to your needs, but you must be familiar with HTML & CSS. There is no need to be an expert with PHP or Javascript, because there are (free) ready made scripts available on the Internet to parse RSS feeds which you only have to implement on the right spot in your code.

ICEband
09-28-2010, 02:02 PM
well I can sort of find my way round html and css.

Would you be kind enough to take me through in baby steps what I need to do

Thanks

gentleone
09-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Would you be kind enough to take me through in baby steps what I need to do?

Of course... no props!

Let me read that API page good first and I'll get back at you.

gentleone
09-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Can you send me an email to ralph[at]gentlemedia[dot]nl ?