PDA

View Full Version : Frameset confusion!!!

iamlowlikeyou
09-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Hello all,

I am trying to create a layout made of 5 frames;
top, left, right and bottom frames for graphics, and one center frame for the content.
I am having a real hard time trying to figure out, how to make it so, that I can of course have a scroller for the center frame, to scroll through the content - but also have a scroller for the entire frameset. Shouldn't this be possible?
I have tried simply resizing the frames within the frameset, but this only makes seperate scrollers for the specific frames appear.
To sum it up:
I need a scroller for the entire frameset, that doesn't affect the separate frames - and also a scroller for the center frame, that only scrolls this specific frame.

I don't know if framesets are entirely outdated?
Maybe someone has an idea for a smarter way to make the same layout?

gentleone
09-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I am having a real hard time trying to figure out, how to make it so, that I can of course have a scroller for the center frame, to scroll through the content - but also have a scroller for the entire frameset. Shouldn't this be possible?

You don't need a frameset to achieve what you want... just use divs and css (overflow: auto). Frames are indeed an outdated way of laying out websites and are bad for search engines, bookmarking and accessibility to name a few.

iamlowlikeyou
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
You don't need a frameset to achieve what you want... just use divs and css (overflow: auto). Frames are indeed an outdated way of laying out websites and are bad for search engines, bookmarking and accessibility to name a few.

Thanks for your reply!

I see - actually I have heard about the faults of frameset before, I had just happily forgotten how inconvenient it is :)

I'll try something different then.