PDA

View Full Version : Div Tags /Z indexes/Nesting problems...

Badshamrock
09-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Hi, so I've laid a design out with a Div tag wrapper then used AP Div tags within to get reliable results position wise. It's coming together OK. I think I've got some nesting issue though? Each time I add a new AP Div it comes to the top - that's fine but can I send it to the bottom by changing the z index... or I am nesting these which negates the Z index. In the AP elements list they appear as tiered/nested.

Thanks Badshamrock

gentleone
09-22-2010, 05:19 AM
APdivs are not meant to lay out a whole page.... you will run into more problems by doing this and it will slow down the page load. Use the normal flow and floats if you want to take a div out of the normal flow. You position your divs then with margins and paddings.

Badshamrock
09-22-2010, 05:42 AM
So when do you use AP Divs as opposed to no AP?

I'm going around in circles. I've looked for tutorials but they are all basic for square set layouts, may as well use tables...!!! They don't seem to use transparency or overlaps much. I'll attach a sample of what I'm trying to achieve. Would appreciate if someone could steer me in right direction. When I set up from scratch I don't know whether to build the div layout left to right, top left to bottom then float divs across. Does that make sense? So I though AP Divs in a non AP container would give me result I needed.

gentleone
09-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Your design is just a three column layout with a header and a footer. You just have to slice it well or take some bits separate (maybe the transparency ones) and place them induvidually as backgrounds of nested divs. The second method is okay, but try to avoid to nest too many divs to achieve it.