PDA

View Full Version : Hot spots and alt text

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I have a photo with about 20 people in it, and I want it so that when you hover your cursor over each face, their name shows in a pop up box. I've used a hot spot on each one, and filled in the Alt text box ............. but in the preview, no name shows. I have done it before - but I can't remember how. The page is:

http://www.glendalehouse.co.uk/pages/aidensfield.htm

edbr
09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
use title=

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi again. What do you mean ...... use title= in the alt box ?
So where I had in the alt box Joe McFadden as PC Joe Mason, I now put title=Joe McFadden as PC Joe Mason.

I've tried that but it still doesn't work in the preview.

edbr
09-21-2010, 10:06 AM
no, alt=" Joe McFadden" title="Joe McFadden"

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Sorry about this. I know you're rolling your eyes and tutting.
I've put a hot spot on the photo his what I now have inside my alt box:

"Joe McFadden" title="Joe McFadden"

Still doesn't work. I'm using Dreamweaver CS5 does that change anything ?

I wish I'd checked the one I already had working before I deleted it to put a new photo up.

gentleone
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Sorry about this. I know you're rolling your eyes and tutting.
I've put a hot spot on the photo his what I now have inside my alt box:

"Joe McFadden" title="Joe McFadden"

Still doesn't work. I'm using Dreamweaver CS5 does that change anything ?

I wish I'd checked the one I already had working before I deleted it to put a new photo up.

Instead of the alt tag use the title tag!

title="Joe McFadden"

d a v e
09-21-2010, 01:32 PM
alt attribute and title attribute.

the title tag is for the page title

gentleone
09-21-2010, 01:52 PM
alt attribute and title attribute.

the title tag is for the page title

your right, but I meant the title attribute... mistaken.

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I've attached a screenshot. Where is the title tag? It can't be for the page title because there are 14 different names on the one photo.

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorry, here's the screen shot !

gentleone
09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
It should be in the properties panel, but I see it doesn't show up if you select an image in design view. The easiest way is to go into code view and look for your <map area tags and add title="your title" manually in there.

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Well thanks for your help, but I give up. I'm lost now. I tried ... and screwed up.
The frustrating thing is ................... I did it last year with no trouble at all. That was Dreamweaver cs3, but it shouldn't be that much harder should it ???

gentleone
09-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Did you took the effort to go into code view and look for the map area tags?

I ask this because the more you go in there and do things, the more you'll get comfortable working with code. Until you finally can drop working in design view cause imo design view just plain sucks!

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes I did. As soon as I read your message. This is what I've got.

<map name="Map">
<area shape="circle" coords="109,87,55" alt="&quot; title=&quot;Joe McFadden&quot;">
<area shape="circle" coords="287,92,51" href="#" alt="Tricia Penrose as Gina">
</map>
</body>
</html>

My problem is that I don't know anyone (and never have) that knows the first thing about computers - let alone Dreamweaver, so I am completely self taught (and not very well by the look of it). I would love, love, LOVE to be competent at web design, but it's a bit like wading through mud when you're on your own.

gentleone
09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, seeing that piece of code your on the right track only you've mixed the alt and title attribute together and there are hard coded quotes for some reason.

You have:
<area shape="circle" coords="109,87,55" alt="&quot; title=&quot;Joe McFadden&quot;">Should be:
<area shape="circle" coords="109,87,55" alt="Joe McFadden" title="Joe McFadden">What the self taught webdesigner thing.... me too and probably most of the advanced dreamweaver users here on the forum learned the whole process of webdesign & development by themselves. I did it by reading & practicing loads of tutorials that you can find on the Internet. www.w3schools.com (http://www.w3schools.com) is still for me the best place to try out new tags with their handy little code editor for instance. Then their our 1000 blogs from professional webdesigners & devlopers that are more then willing to share their knowledge with the rest of the world. And for you not to forget... we at DWC are here to help you if there is no one in your neighborhood to help.

K.Simmonds
09-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou ................. that works. I just need to play around with it a bit now to put all the other names in.

And thanks for the re-assurance.

gentleone
09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou ................. that works. I just need to play around with it a bit now to put all the other names in.

And thanks for the re-assurance.

Great! Just play around with it a lot and don't be afraid of code... it won't bite and if you screw up things, there is always Ctrl Z / Command Z :)

K.Simmonds
09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Aaaaargh. It's me again (sorry). For the next photo, I want it to read:

"Tricia Penrose as Gina Bellamy"

So I put on the hot spot, then copied your code about Joe McFadden ... then altered it to Tricia Penrose, but it doesn't work like that does it ?

The next photo will be:

"Nikki Sanderson as Dawn Bellamy"

I Know you don't like it - but is there a way to do it in design view?

edbr
09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
show your code new code, i dont think yoy can do itt in design view but its a good ides to spit that dummy out :) you can do this honest

K.Simmonds
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
You're right again. It was just me being thick. By copying the code, I'd copied the other co-ordinates too.

Thanks again. I'll try to disappear for a while.