PDA

View Full Version : Will divs work for this layout?

Badshamrock
09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
I'm very new to web design. Come from print background. I'm learning about CSS & Divs but I need to know whether the interface I've designed is possible before I waste time trying to put together in divs what may not be possible. I bascially need images in divs to overlap etc. I have a 100kb jpeg ready to view to show my mockup . Would appreciate if someone can tell me if it's doable or am I wasting my time.

many thanks

Badshamrock

edbr
09-21-2010, 06:12 AM
yes you can do this with divs you couls also do it with the images using absolute positioning, best would be if the total content is in a relatively positioned containing div

Badshamrock
09-21-2010, 06:19 AM
OK, so if I create a container as a relatively positioned say with auto margins left and right that will give me centred box, then use absolute positioning with that container the divs should be OK. I've read so many things but was thinking that all the browsers were going to have problems with the divs and generally get unwanted results with divs flowing about.

edbr
09-21-2010, 06:52 AM
if you usre relative as described that will in essence be the layout. absolute elements within that will use the div borders as reference points there fore allowing you to control how they appear within that div and that will then be constant

DWcourse
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
And you should also make sure the width of your container is fixed in pixels and not a percentage. You don't want the container div changing sizes on you.