PDA

View Full Version : URL Problem

NolanDubyu
09-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Hello,

I am currently having with a problem with my URL, whenever I type in www.mydomain.com, I get nothing. I have to type www.mydomain.com/foldername, the folder name that I upload on Filezilla, which is the same as my domain name. What am I doing wrong? Or how can I fix it so all you have to type is my domain name? I created my site in dreamweaver and I am using GoDaddy hosting(sadly)..

Thanks,
Nolan W.

DWcourse
09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't upload the folder just upload it's contents.

NolanDubyu
09-17-2010, 08:30 PM
If it is just that simple, I may put a bullet in my head...

DWcourse
09-17-2010, 08:35 PM

Um, I don't want to be responsible for that.

Stuart Broad
09-22-2010, 05:09 AM
There are a couple of things you need to do to fix this:

Decide which URL style you want to use, www or non-www.
Set up a 301 redirect so that any links to your non-preferred URL style will go to the right style. This way you don’t waste link value by splitting it between two URLs.
Set your preferred domain in Google Webmaster Tools so your search result listings are consistent with your style preference.
Make sure whenever you build links to your site that you use the preferred URL style.

DWcourse
09-22-2010, 05:28 AM

Nolan, are you still out there?

edbr
09-22-2010, 06:30 AM
just a chalk outline perhaps :(

SpiritedAway
09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
To add this and ask a question - does that mean you don't add the site structure on your local site to the remote sight. On my local site I defined my site and in that site i have files, image, spry folders etc....when I upload to the remote server should I put them all in public_html folder - without creating any sub-folders.

DWcourse
09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
No, the folder structure of the local site you be mirrored on the server. If you set your site up correctly in Dreamweaver and upload through Dreamweaver this will happen.