PDA

View Full Version : Font substitution problem

djw
09-17-2010, 06:20 AM
I have uploaded my website built in Dreamweaver, everything works except that all the fonts are substituted with a default Times new Roman 12 point, that's what it looks like.
Anyway, it all previews fine using Dreamweaver browser preview, and if I copy all the site contents to a local folder and click on the index. html, it all comes up and works fine.
Only in the hosted on-line version are my fonts being substituted.
I realize this may be some sort of coding issue, but before I seriously educate myself in that direction I was wondering if this is a common problem. My CSS have all been set to Arial, Helvetica sans serif. any brains out there know of a fix.

edbr
09-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Are you using a attached css file? declare the font family in the body

djw
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm not experienced in scripting in anyway, I design visually and this website is for my company so I don't do it for a living, so forgive me if a simple question such as "am I using an attached css file" might not be something I can answer directly. I assume I must have but I might be wrong. Here is a screen grab of the css properties for my content.

Corrosive
09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Could you show us an HTML page. The CSS looks correct (if a little blurry)

DWcourse
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Or just give us the link where we can view it online.

djw
09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone for wanting to help, it sounds like the best way is I direct you to the site so you can view the HTML code, screen grabbing it is probably a clumsy way to go. The site is mementoz.com.au

Now everyone gets to see my ugly code.

gentleone
09-17-2010, 04:44 PM
All the links to your stylesheets give a 404 document not found error. Make sure that your paths are right (linking to the right directory)

The design is nice, but the code is indeed table-ugly. Luckily you mentioned it yourself, so i won't hurt you with saying this :)

DWcourse
09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
All the links to your stylesheets give a 404 document not found error. Make sure that your paths are right (linking to the right directory)

You need to make sure that you've uploaded the CSS files to the server. You can do it manually or by allowing Dreamweaver to upload the dependent files when you upload your pages.

Also, looking at your links I also suspect one of two issues:

1. You haven't defined your site correctly in Dreamweaver or

2. You're doing a save as from your template rather than creating files based on the template through the File>New… menu item.

The design is nice, but the code is indeed table-ugly. Luckily you mentioned it yourself, so i won't hurt you with saying this :)

It is a very nice looking design.

djw
09-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks again everyone who is trying to help the new guy, I'm taking in everything that is being said, let me digest it all and see if I can get my head around it first before I ask another specific question.

A general question, is it okay work practice for me to make this thing with all my bad code, and then hand it over to an expert who will just clean it all up for me. Or is this more problem than just doing it right in the first place?

DWcourse
09-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Well, you certainly seem to have the ability to do this. And, if you learn to do it right (admittedly an investment of time) you can do it again (and again).

If you have a fairly recent copy of Dreamweaver, you might consider adapting one of the built-in CSS layouts for your project. Then for the next step I'd look into using list-based CSS menus (or DW's Spry menus) rather than the image-based rollover behavior buttons.

As for handing it over to someone else, they'll pretty much be starting from scratch on the layout (basically the images and text are all they'll use). So you could hand them the Photoshop file get the same results.

Corrosive
09-18-2010, 07:05 AM
As the guys have said. It's a really nice looking site but the code is very bloated for what it is. A professional would start again I'm afraid.

djw
09-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Well thanks everyone for comments and suggestions, this forum is the real deal.
I seem to have fixed the problem by accident, I had previouslybeen uploading through filezilla but last night I used Dreamweaver just to see what would happen, it gave me the dependant file prompt and it seems like that's all it was.
I now know that my code is bloated and ugly and that is going to bother me. Can anyone look at the code and tell me if it still is really bad, I think it looked a little neater but not being a professional I can't really tell.

Seems like learning code is the only way to go from here.

Corrosive
09-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi DJW

I hope you don't mind and I'm not trying to be a smart ar*e but I thought it might help if I did this;

http://corrosiveonline.co.uk/_projects/mementoz/page.html

It isn't perfect and doesn't have all the answers. It is just a demonstration of how simple code can actually be when CSS and the box model are used for positioning elements and Photoshop 'export' is avoided.

Same layout, quarter of the page size!

I hope this inspires you to delve deeper into good code and CSS.

DWcourse
09-19-2010, 04:36 PM
djw,

Don't delay, take advantage of Corrosive's work and run with it!

djw
09-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Well let me say thanks again, and I'm humbled by Corrosives sample re-jig of my home page, even a cursory glance at the page source code showed it to be super economical. Box model, hmmm? Another term to look up. Little by little this will all get easier.

Corrosive
09-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Little by little this will all get easier.

Absolutely it will. You just have to persist with good practices and learning the correct way to do things. Here's my quick rundown of the box model; http://corrosiveonline.co.uk/tutorials_css_box_model.php but there are loads of tutorials out there.

The main concept is to think about a website as a jigsaw with all the parts fitting snugly together. It's not like print where you can place everything where you want on a page and it will work. A page must have a 'flow' with each piece dictating where the next piece sits.

CSS is also key to modern web design.

You also need to think about what HTML can do on it's own without images. I substituted your image button rollovers because they were so simple that plain old HTML can easily do the same job and reduce the page weight significantly.

OK, lecture over ;) I'll leave you to get on with it. Good luck and keep persisting. I really do like your design :mrgreen: