PDA

View Full Version : Which direction?

kdogg556
09-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Hello!

First off id like to say im new to Dreamweaver club. And sorta HTML and CSS for that matter. I have been self teaching it to myself for a while but of course i can learn lots more.

Secondly, i need some help. I have a great idea for a web site. But i dont know what to go about doing it. itll be along the lines of gamebattles but still alot different. Although, im looking to get as big as gamebattles. So im not sure where to go or what to do. I am making the home page as i type this. i dont know how to handle a site of that mass. i want to include a forum, chat room and a area where members can upload media. what cgi scripts would i need? what host should i choose? can i do this in just dreamweaver and maybe fireworks? i got the idea but dont know where to go from there. basically it boils down to this; What do i need to do for a big site including a forum, chatting and media uploads?

I know its alot,

but thanks!

edit: sorry if i posted this in the wrong area

edbr
09-15-2010, 06:04 AM
you need a knowledge of html, css serverside tech such as php or asp, database knowledge such as mysql. probably some flash or javascript knowledge.
yes you can do it in dreamweaver or notepad even as its all about code at that level.
couldnt advise regarding cgi scripts but hotscripts is one of many script depositories on the web where you can get free or paid scripts.
also many forums and chat programs available some free some paid.
Hosting depends on the technology you decide to use to build your site

you are looking at a big undertaking and i would advise taking one step at a time

Corrosive
09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
This sounds like a pretty tough assignment for a new user.

gentleone
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
What do i need to do for a big site including a forum, chatting and media uploads?

You need quite some more skills than just a little knowledge of HTML & CSS to start a project like this, so I would also say that you're setting too high goals compared to your knowledge.

kdogg556
09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Phew! I didn't know it was such a big task. Id love to be a web designer, I probably need to start small

Corrosive
09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I probably need to start small

Nothing wrong with that. Start with the basics of HTML and CSS and work up from there. Stay well away from, export from photoshop, tables and absolute positioning for the time being and you'll be fine. This might help; http://corrosiveonline.co.uk/articles_beginner_mistakes.php

DWcourse
09-15-2010, 08:43 PM
If you invest time in learning the basics (HTML and CSS) it will pay off in the long run.

kdogg556
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks. Everyone has been very helpful. I'm 19 years old and I am going thru school. I wanna go ahead and become a freelance web designer so I can go ahead and get out of the grocery store I currently work at now. I hit the books as soon as I get home from my job. Like I said I know html and css but what would you recommend me to further my goal? I can create simple sites now. Should I begin making simple pages for friends and family?

Corrosive
09-16-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm 19 years old and I am going thru school.

Plenty of time to get this right then :wink: You are right, practice is good whether the sites are for a purpose (friends/family) or just set yourself tests, 'today I'm going to create a design for a fictitious law firm'. Get good.

For the site you outlined at the start of this thread I'd say keep one eye on Drupal. I think it will hold the functionality you need to get your gaming site up and running without developing from scratch.

Maybe download it and see what you think. If it freaks you out you need a bit more practice. If you think you are up to it then dive in.

We are always here for you to ask questions. :)