PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress and DW?

bcweb
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Has anyone downloaded a wordpress template to use with DW? How simple/complex is that?

The idea being that I have total control over a blog rather than running it on the free wordpress server.

DWcourse
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
It's a fairly complex job. You'll need to set up a testing server in order for DW to be able to render the code when you preview. It's made a bit easier by the php connect feature which will track down all the files needed to display your page and render them in design view and edit "live" on your server or testing server but it's still quite an undertaking.

I'd say you'd need to be pretty proficient in DW, WordPress, HTML and CSS to pull it off.

Corrosive
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Has anyone downloaded a wordpress template to use with DW?

Yes, a few times.

How simple/complex is that?

That's all relative isn't it? CS5 I believe has a lot more support for this kind of thing.

The idea being that I have total control over a blog rather than running it on the free wordpress server.

Sounds like a plan.

DWcourse
09-14-2010, 03:30 PM
BTW, you don't need DW to install WordPress and a theme. Any host that offers cPanel with Fantastico offers one-click WordPress installs and any ftp program will let you download and upload themes.

Corrosive
09-14-2010, 03:59 PM
BTW, you don't need DW to install WordPress and a theme. Any host that offers cPanel with Fantastico offers one-click WordPress installs and any ftp program will let you download and upload themes.

Yep, that's a great place to start. I hear some negative things said about Fantastico installs but I've not had a problem with WP on it.

DWcourse
09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Yep, that's a great place to start. I hear some negative things said about Fantastico installs but I've not had a problem with WP on it.

I've never had or heard of a problem with it installing WordPress (and haven't much used it for anything else). However I don't use it for updates.

Corrosive
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I've never had or heard of a problem with it installing WordPress (and haven't much used it for anything else). However I don't use it for updates.

The Drupal forum is full of people saying not to use Fantastico for that. They may just be purists who like you to sweat over a manual install! As I say, WP seems A-OK to me.

edbr
09-15-2010, 01:04 AM
They may just be purists who like you to sweat over a manual install
its not likely to make you break out in a sweat , not even a damp forehead, its pretty easy to do manually

bcweb
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks. I'll finish my shopping cart project first!
This is useful info for thinking about wordpress and DW. I like wordpress and use the free hosted blogs they provide, but I'd read an article about how it's difficult to move a blog once it's going, esp if it's under wordpress or blogger etc.

What about bandwidth and hosting plans when one considers doing their own blog in DW w/ the wordpress template?

And thanks to whoever had suggested lightbox as an image viewer! It's great!

bcweb
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Simple/Complex IS relative!
But I'm referring to myself in that I'm a designer and love SPLIT view in DW but am pretty proficient in DW! Know how to make CSS files for a website. HTML makes some sense to me. Yes, I have Cpanel. So it's all plausible that installing wordpress in DW is possible for me to do!
But first there's the shopping cart to do!

Corrosive
09-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Simple/Complex IS relative!

Ha, ha yes. That is what I was driving at ;) Some things to be aware of if you do this;

You won't ever get to see the whole template/design in DW as certain parts are a combination of other files and info from a database. That means that you'll have to get your hands dirty with code.

You can set up a testing server using WAMP (or similar) and then preview in browser will act like your design view in some ways.

Firefox is definitely the browser I'd use for this. You can use the developer tools and view CSS. This gives you a red box when you hover over certain areas of your page. Click it and it tells you the CSS styles that apply to that part. It is invaluable as a development tool for templates in my opinion.

I guess the other real problem with migrating from hosted WP is that I doubt you can take your database with you so you may have to recreate posts and other content.

Of course you won't know until you try so get WAMP and start playing.

DWcourse
09-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Actually, Dreamweaver CS5 does have php connect will connect to a testing site and actually render the page in Live View and it also has CSS Inspect which lets you track down the CSS rules affecting an object (similar to Firebug for Firefox). But you still won't be able to edit in design view and you will absolutely have to get your hands dirty in the code.

And current versions of WordPress do have a decent import function which should allow you to export/import your current site from WordPress.com.