PDA

View Full Version : Am I kidding myself??

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking at creating a Hotel booking website. Do you think this is possible on Dreamweaver?

I have started to research and learn from different tutorials but I thought maybe some of the gurus here could point me in the right direction.

Brief Description of site:
Simple search form with a 'location' 'check-in date' & 'check-out date' and 'search' button..
Once the user enters their dates, I would like it to display the available hotels.
Then the user can choose the hotel they want and book it with an online booking form.

I'm guessing I will need to enter each hotels info into some kind of database, so that the search form can filter thru and give the user the info they need.

If you guys & gals don't mind helping a noobie out. I would really appreciate it if you could advise me on what I will need to set this up.

Thanks in advance.

edbr
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
yes you could but
If you guys & gals don't mind helping a noobie out..
you will need some server side skills php and possibly some javascript to make it all user friendly. a very big undertaking i would say both in coding it to begin with as well as the admin needed to keep it all current

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
you will need some server side skills php and possibly some javascript to make it all user friendly. a very big undertaking i would say both in coding it to begin with as well as the admin needed to keep it all current

Thanks for the quick response & honest opinion.

The more people I talk to, the more tell me that this is no easy task for someone fairly new to web development.

I might have to settle on buying an online booking system. I've seen a couple that seem very easy to manage once the site is up and running.

edbr
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
i know the big players in this field have what amounts to franchises. actually getting hotels to join in your site and offer the discounts and cooperation you need is a gargantuan task in itself

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I understand what you are saying.

I actually live on a small island with approx. 30-40 hotels, most of which are already eager to work with me..

Thanks again for honest opinion.

gentleone
09-13-2010, 04:10 PM
I actually live on a small island with approx. 30-40 hotels, most of which are already eager to work with me..

On which island did you say that you live?

Just kidding :)

I found lately this free availability calendar. Not yet used it myself tho' but it looks promising to me.

http://www.ajaxavailabilitycalendar.com/

Corrosive
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Nice find gentleone. Bookmarked for future use I think :)

gentleone
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Nice find gentleone. Bookmarked for future use I think :)

Great! :)

It doesn't have all the features he's looking for, but I thought it was worth to mention.

Corrosive
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
We may actually be jumping the gun a bit on this one. How much HTML and CSS do you know MacDaddy?

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks Guys.

Gentleone - I like the look of that Ajax availability calender, I'll have to give it a good read and see if it can help me out.

Corrosive - Don't laugh too much but my HTML/CSS knowledge is VERY basic. I'm learning as I go.

Corrosive
09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I won't laugh. Everyone here started somewhere! That is where you need to start though. Don't even worry about calendars or PHP or anything like that at this stage. Bookmark for use in the future but you need to get comfortable with HTML and CSS based layouts first.

Have you done anything we can take a look at to give some pointers?

DWcourse
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I won't laugh. Everyone here started somewhere! That is where you need to start though. Don't even worry about calendars or PHP or anything like that at this stage. Bookmark for use in the future but you need to get comfortable with HTML and CSS based layouts first.

That good advice.

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Have you done anything we can take a look at to give some pointers?

Well... when i said my HTML/CSS knowledge was VERY basic, I wasn't being modest :roll:

Last year I started with iWeb but never used any of the prefix templates. I used lots of HTMl snippets for roll-overs etc. i soon realized that it was very limited and wasn't teaching me anything about Good web design. All I was doing was learning how to make iWeb do what i wanted even if it wasn't the correct way of doing it.

Thats why I wanted to get into Dreamweaver instead. I only bought it yesterday lol, so haven't even had a chance to play around with it.

The way I see it. Dreamweaver probably has the most tutorials out there, so it a good place to start and from what i understand there's not much you cant do with it.

gentleone
09-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I completely agree with Corrosive and I don't want to discourage you, but I think if your skills are VERY basic than you should even skip the thought of doing clients work.

My advice is to read a lot of HTML and CSS tutorials, bring them in practice in Dreamweaver, play around with it and ask your questions here if needed untill you've reached an advanced level. Than in my opinion you can slowly thinking of doing simple websites for clients (thus no hotel sites with dynamic pages and booking systems :) ).

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 08:47 PM
gentleone- i completely understand... Thats the plan anyway.. I always get a bit carried away with myself.

I'm going to lock myself in a room for a couple of months and learn as much HTML/CSS as I can.

I don't want to do websites for clients. The hotel site was going to be my hobby but as I've now come to believe, I may have bitten off more than I can chew.. lol

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions.

I hope to bump into some of you here in the near future.

gentleone
09-13-2010, 09:04 PM
That's good of you... just give a shout when you get stuck ;)

By the way... are YOU the father of my Mac???

MacDaddy
09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
That's good of you... just give a shout when you get stuck ;)

By the way... are YOU the father of my Mac???

Thanks I sure will.

Lol... No I'm not the Daddy of all macs, just mine. But im happy to meet one day so our macs can play together :lol:

edbr
09-14-2010, 03:06 AM
i found this http://www.digitaldruid.net/php-residence/en/

actually there is a freebie but i cant find the link , i think its on my old computer, im using pc son of pc of the not a mac-tribe :}

gentleone
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
im using pc son of pc of the not a mac-tribe :}

No worries... we're friendly and we come in peace.. UGH!