PDA

View Full Version : Need site bugs fixed, where to go?

Abbica
09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi ,I have the majority of a site done, when I go to view it in firefox and then into explorer it views differently, my spry vertical menu bar appears behind my main body content div. Also, some of my hover over buttons appear different insome cases and small stuff like that. So, I was wondering, is there a company out there that might take the disc and make the amends to it, fix it up, make it compatible in a lot of browsers and then get it to the web host, I just want it working as I am only a novice at this and to tell you the truth, I just want this site gone as I only did it as a favour anyway, so I will just put the company in contact with this company and let them deal with it from there? Is there anyone out there that would do this please?? most grateful for recommendations.

Corrosive
09-12-2010, 12:22 PM
To be honest I've not heard of a company that fixes broken sites. Well, not specifically anyway. Have you tried any local designers from Google?

If you can get it online then the members here may be able to get you to a point where it can be published and out of your hair.

Abbica
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
THank you for the advice, I never researched anywhere that could take the disc, thinking even the likes of a computer learning centre for web, one of the teachers might take it o n? I can't get it up online for the likes of you for e.g. to see my mistakes because I am working off my desktop. I can't overwrite the current one up there as they need it active and in working order. I tried that filezilla type thing but I could not get it to work. Web design is not my thing as none of it has been at all easy for me. i miss just doing graphic design. I am close to finishing it, just a few html googly wobbly thingamegigs that seem like mount everest to me to climb for this site to be completed.Is there a way for me to get this online for recommended fixes. It viewed fine in firefox, explorer looked a mess, who only knows why is a webdesigner which i am not!!

Corrosive
09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
What is the total file size for the site?

Abbica
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
What is the total file size for the site?

It's 8mb in size

gentleone
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I can't overwrite the current one up there as they need it active and in working order. Just create a sub-directory on their server called e.g. 'newsite' and upload all your files in there. You won't interfere the live site with this.
You can access and test the new site online than through the following url:
www.company.com/newsite/index.html (http://www.company.com/newsite/index.html)

Of course you'll have to replace www.company.com (http://www.company.com) with the right URL and I took in this example index.html as page, but if this is different than replace that with the right one too.

DWcourse
09-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Or, if the host allows it, create a subdomain and upload the site there.

Of course, if the company is willing to pay the going rate to make the site work, I'm sure there are many folks who would be willing to take the job (maybe even me :twisted: ).

However, in my experience, making someone else's design work is just as time consuming - and hence expensive - as developing a site from scratch.

But, as Corrosive and gentleone suggested, the folks here (maybe even me :lol: ) are certainly willing to help people learn.

Corrosive
09-13-2010, 07:03 AM
I was going to say that if you are having trouble uploading it then zip it up and mail it to me and I'll stick it up for a couple of days so folks can help. I'll have to 100% agree with DWCourse on something...

However, in my experience, making someone else's design work is just as time consuming - and hence expensive - as developing a site from scratch.

Just be aware of this. And, I know you did this as a favour and you are clearly a good friend, but why did this guy/gal not hire a professional in the first place? I'd want someone with some good experience to make my business website.

Abbica
09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Sorry for the delay in replies, I am on my holidays but can't relax until I have this sorted! Thanks you all for the replies, it is great to have such generous, helpful people out there that would help a stranger.

I took it on for experience and in my little mind, thought I could do it, they proposed it to me as it was way to expensive to hire a professional and I said I would do it for a very reduced price!! Worst decision of my life!
I appreciate that i could have made a right mess of the site and to hand it over could be a lot of work on a webdesigner. I think at this stage I would hand it over to them for free and let them employ a proper designer to finish it off so there would be no extra expense in that way for them, I honestly don't think there is much work to do on it, just a few html fixs up, spry problems, but the good thing is that it is a template website so one fix, fixes all, apart from the homepage which is seperate, Flash homepage.
Think it is working fine though in both browsers.

I will have a look at the site here now, see what I can see, see if I can sort it and try out some of your suggestions. Hopefully I can get back to you in an hour, see how I fair but I am not optimistic. Thank you all so much for now anyway, you are all very good.

edbr
09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
if you are doing this for experience you will get one. good for you, i always think you learn more by bulling all the wires out and learning how to put them back. flash home page? best is to lose that anyway IMO

DWcourse
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, I 'd enjoy the holiday and then worry. But I'm sure you can work things out with the help you'll find here. But I'd agree about abandoning the flash for the home page.

Abbica
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I think I agree with enjoying the holiday but it niggles at you. I am close to leaving it though. I emailed Corrosive there so... but thank you all. As always a great help and very forthcoming with advice. Refreshing to say the least

Corrosive
09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I emailed Corrosive

and I have replied. Send me your stuff :)

gentleone
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Sadly enough this is true and this is exactly one of the reasons why I'm pro web standards. :)