PDA

View Full Version : how to edit files and upload them to server

susan williams
09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
could someone please give me step by step instructions for making minor changes to files and then uploading them to remote server. Is it necessary to retrieve the file from the remote first, then edit it then send it back to the remote server. thanks. (I am using DW cs5.)

DWcourse
09-09-2010, 05:45 AM
This mini-course has info on configuring Dreamweaver to download and upload files to your server. Make sure you look at the CS5 sections. Things have changed: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver-mini-course (registration required).

edbr
09-09-2010, 05:51 AM
or use a third party program. filezilla is a very good free one and easy to use

DWcourse
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Right! You don't need Dreamweaver for uploading/downloading and simple edits (if your comfortable editing in HTML) a free ftp program and a good text editor will do it for you.

susan williams
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am a newbie so need to stick to DWCS5 to do this. This is what I have tried without sucess. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?
SITE...MANAGE SITE...select site...DONE.
WINDOW...FILES.
make alteration to page...SAVE
expand to show local and remote files by clicking on "CONNECT TO REMOTE HOST" icon.
select file in local files section,
click PUT.

the striped timebar works and it appears to be uploading.
(I then clicked on "SYNCHRONISE" button.)

when I check on browser the change has not been made.
When I compare the local and remote file the alteration has not been made.

Many thanks if you can help me.

DWcourse
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
You shouldn't need to "SITE...MANAGE SITE...select site...DONE."

All you need to do is select your site from the menu in the Files palette.

Your problem, makes me think you haven't set up the root directory correctly in the server information and so you're uploading the file to the wrong directory.

You should be uploading to a directory probably with the name public_html or www. That directory name should be indicated in the root directory field of hte server setup.