PDA

View Full Version : Where the heck is it?

Dr_Atomic
09-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I just updated to DW CS5. :cool: Things are different now, and I can see that I have a learning curve to conquer.

For example, when I insert a table it now draws green lines horizontally across the table/cells, telling me the width percentages and pixels. How do I turn this off? I didn't have it before, and I certainly don't want it now. I also don't see an "align" icon at the bottom in the Properties table. Now - instead of just clicking this to align an image in a cell, I have to right-click inside the cell, select Align, then select Center. A much more tedious process each and every time.

Also, when I insert images into cells, the cells become different widths instead of all being the same width. It didn't do this before. I specified how many columns and cells I wanted when I created the table and it spread them evenly. Why it's doing it this way now I have no idea.

gentleone
09-06-2010, 09:23 AM
inline align 'value' is deprecated for a long time. If you want to center your title than you should use CSS.

h1 (text-align: center}

gentleone
09-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I see you've changed the original question.

Anyways... Images don't belong in a table.... tables are meant for data. Dreamweaver is more and more heading to div layouts and CSS, so all the shortcut features that you could do in earlier versions to build a site layout with tables are pretty much all gone.

Corrosive
09-07-2010, 07:22 AM
I did say you might find this with a newer DW version. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and learn CSS/div based layout techniques?

Dr_Atomic
09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I did say you might find this with a newer DW version. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and learn CSS/div based layout techniques?

Well, I thought DW was created to make it easier for people to design webpages. I have no desire or time to learn code, if that's what it takes (if it does, I'll just move to Frontpage).

So if one can't insert images into tables now and if it has to be done through CSS (which I don't know and don't have a lot of time to have to learn), what is the easiest way to insert images onto a webpage?

Corrosive
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
First up, Dreamweaver is a development tool. It has a visual element (design view) which can be used to make fine adjustments to your layout. It's not a total replacement for knowledge of the principals of web design.

It does make my life as a designer a LOT simpler with all the shortcuts, code hints, built in FTP and so on but I don't expect it to replace my need to learn the tools of the trade.

I think Frontpage might actually be a good idea if all you want to do is draw tables and insert images.

Otherwise the answer is still CSS. Create a div, style and position it with CSS and insert an image.

CSS isn't actually that hard once you get your head round it and the time it will save you in the long run will far outweigh learning time. CSS isn't there to make life hard, the ability to make simple changes site-wide is incredibly powerful once you start to think about what that actually means.

I won't go on about it much more. It's your choice at the end of the day.

DWcourse
09-08-2010, 05:03 AM
The green bar at the bottom only appears when the table is selected in design view. It's a design aid and doesn't appear when the page is viewed in Live View or a browser.

But, seriously, if you don't want anything new, why did you update?

Corrosive
09-08-2010, 05:41 AM
But, seriously, if you don't want anything new, why did you update?

If I remember rightly it was because he was having trouble inserting tables.

DWcourse
09-08-2010, 05:43 AM
If I remember rightly it was because he was having trouble inserting tables.

And around and around we go :roll:

Corrosive
09-08-2010, 06:28 AM
And around and around we go :roll:

Yes, indeedy :)