PDA

View Full Version : Making a banner full page?

Boiled Frogs
09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi there, I've just started using Dreamweaver, I like to think I'm pretty intuitive, and I've managed to code different pages with lightbox galleries in already without needing any tutorials, however I keep being stumped by this (what hopefully is) simple problem.

I apologise if there is an easy answer, I don't like making new threads like this usually, but How do you make your webpage full screen no matter what resolution somebody else's computer is running at?

My banner in particular, which I'd like to fit perfectly across the top of the website, currently cuts short about 2 inches, but if i make the image bigger on Dreamweaver, the canvas simply gets bigger as well.

Is there a way to make image sizes a % rather than fixed pixels?

Thanks again, sorry if there's an easy answer, but I hope there is!

d a v e
09-05-2010, 03:50 PM
link to the page would help to see how it looks so we can best advise you

Boiled Frogs
09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
www.richard-walton.com (http://www.richard-walton.com)

Also, is it possible to make sections of a single image into different hyperlinks? for instance, clicking the facebook part of the image would link to my facebook, or would it have to be a seperate object?

DWcourse
09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
You can size images in %. Although, depending upon the dimensions of the browser window they may be distorted and, of course, the quality will suffer when they are resized.

And why would you want to do that?

Boiled Frogs
09-05-2010, 05:34 PM
ah nevermind then, I don't want distortion. It's fixed at 1024 pixels wide at the moment, I'm guessing thats what most websites use.

DWcourse
09-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Actually most use something a bit smaller (960-990 pixels wide) to allow for scroll bar, etc.

Corrosive
09-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Actually most use something a bit smaller (960-990 pixels wide) to allow for scroll bar, etc.

Yes, totally.

You can give the appearance of a full width banner by using a sliced image of a plain part of the banner repeating x in the body styles. That will stretch with the browser window but of course you won't be able to have any detail on it.

Boiled Frogs
09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Okay thank you very much.

On a side note, if you take a look at this website;

http://www.simonelia.com/

When you click the different pages of the website, only the content changes and it doesn't simply refresh the whole website, how would I go about learning to do that?

Corrosive
09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
how would I go about learning to do that?

Learn flash :)

nwcountry
10-04-2010, 09:58 PM
My website is http://oregoncranberryprocessors.com and I have a banner that I am really not that happy with but, I think I can use the "banner repeating x in the body styles" because as you'll see, the right side of the banner is exactly the same. Don't need any detail on it. My banner looks and fits fine in Dreamweaver but when uploading it to IPage website, it looks two or so inches short. I'm using Firefox and also, my screen is a 17" which probably doesn't matter but thought I'd indicate it in case.

Can someone help me with the code I need to enter to make the banner repeat? I will also go and look on the other threads and search for the answer in case no one is around here today:)

Thanks, Denise

Yes, totally.

You can give the appearance of a full width banner by using a sliced image of a plain part of the banner repeating x in the body styles. That will stretch with the browser window but of course you won't be able to have any detail on it.