PDA

View Full Version : Trouble creating ap elements

petiebank
09-04-2010, 02:23 AM
I have built several pages using ap elements without any trouble. On my current page every time I try to draw a new ap element instead of getting the usual outline shape where I want it I get a single line element at the very top of the page which doesn't appear in the "AP Elements" panel, which I can't seem to edit in any way, but which seems to correctly appear in code, in this case as "<div id="apDiv121"></div>".

Maybe some setting I have unwittingly selected? Possibly related, when I try to create an embedded element I get a similar code entry but instead of an editable element it just appears like an empty text line in the parent element.

Sorry, I haven't uploaded the pages yet to enable viewing of code. Can do so if necessary, but I'm thinking it's more likely to be some setting.

The page contains 155 ap elements so far, 8 stand-alone, 42 parents, and the rest embedded.

Will appreciate any assistance.

DWcourse
09-04-2010, 03:39 AM
What version of Dreamweaver?

The page contains 155 ap elements so far, 8 stand-alone, 42 parents, and the rest embedded.

That's a seriously bad way to layout a page!

edbr
09-04-2010, 04:31 AM
you have to rethink your layout, use relative divs wih apdivs to position elements in them if you need . i have never seen a page that needed so many divs. i anm sure with some planning this can be reduced to a managable amount

petiebank
09-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Yes well I'm an amateur doing my best. I do appreciate the responses however. It's Dreamweaver CS4 running on a MacBook Pro.

I'll check out the links you kindly supplied. Many thanks.

Corrosive
09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Have you switched the mode away from layout at any stage?

petiebank
09-04-2010, 09:46 AM
"Have you switched the mode away from layout at any stage?"

Not knowingly. The workspace is behaving a bit strangely. I think the previous comments regarding the complex layout are on the mark. For this page I'm going to revert to tables until I get more proficient with proper CSS layout.

Appreciate your response.

Corrosive
09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Why not just learn the right way? It isn't that hard once you get your head round the basics. I'm not sure which is worse out of tables or ap divs!!