PDA

View Full Version : in way over my head - advice appreciated

KushielsTart
09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Ok, so it's been probably 4-5 years since I've built a website. I told a friend I'd get his small business website up, stat. Silly me, I imagined I'd get it done rather quickly, and now I'm panicking. I've done a lot of reading, and I bought a membership to lynda.com, but I'm still not sure where I need to head from here. I'd really appreciate it if someone knew of a tutorial, or could get me pointed in the right direction.

Here is (basically) what I have in photoshop:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkharlott/4952152960/

I've used layer comps to build each page individually, with the little dog head as an image for each button on state. I've also added a glow behind the actual button when its on. I've sliced each page up and exported as HTML and images. Now, here's where I'm stuck. The way that I know to build pages is to add tables and stick everything in. I keep reading that this is not how to do it anymore, that you should use CSS. So I've found plenty of tutorials on CSS, but none that apply to how you should handle photoshop output. I assume there is a way to make my images into rollovers or hovers, yes? And to make my center text box scrollable while keeping the rest of the site static? Again, I really appreciate any advice. I know this is very basic stuff and probably annoying to hear.

davidj
09-02-2010, 09:34 PM
no question is annoying. We all have to start somewhere.

Your question however is... 'how do I build a site' and the answer is a lot of time and study.

Life Cycle of a web site...

Wire Frame your site. Sketch out position of content, menu and banner etc

Design it in photoshop so you can see what the end result will be like

Handcode the site using CSS and images from your photoshop prototype. (By images i mean buttons and banners etc. Any solid image which will be an image on your site)

DWcourse
09-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I told a friend I'd get his small business website up, stat.

Therein lies the problem. I do online Dreamweaver training and we take 12 weeks and leave the students gasping for breath at the end. Although about half way through the process students know enough to start building their own projects.

If you don't have time to devote to learning Dreamweaver, you might try using a free template (some are available on this site). Or look at one of the hosting services that offer some kind of site builder (I don't have any suggestions there).

davidj
09-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I agree

You need a template

KushielsTart
09-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I told my friend that I'd go ahead and build him a complete website with a template, and then attempt to do it with the design I built in photoshop. God, it's amazing how fast everything changes, and how completely! I actually have a two year degree in this stuff, but I went back to school for advertising, so I didn't keep current in web design.