PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a small window pop open?

vixter101
09-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to have a link which, when clicked, will present a brand new window/web page, but I'd like it to be a small window, centered on the user's screen right in front of the current web page. I'm using the CS4 version of Dreamweaver. Can someone offer any advice, or point me to the info on how to accomplish this? Thank you very much! I really appreciate any help you can provide!
Vixter

edbr
09-02-2010, 02:58 AM
you need to use javascript for this , there is provision in behaviours you can use , called pop up i think.
welcome to the forum BTW

vixter101
09-02-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks very much! I do some digging...
Bali, hey? Cool!

vixter101
09-02-2010, 03:14 AM
The only thing I see under Behaviours is "Pop Up Message". Doesn't seem to do what I would like. I would like to use an image as a link. When clicked, I'd like a separate, small window to open in front, in which I will have an embedded video playing. It's easy enough to have a separate window open in front, but I'd like to be able to size it so it's just a little larger than the video. That way, the viewer can see the video without losing track of where he/she is. Can you suggest anything else? Thank you again!

edbr
09-02-2010, 03:30 AM
ok i just looked, if you select the image go to behaviours and select open browser window, you will get the dialogue box to come up.

vixter101
09-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Got it! Thanks so much! You've been very helpful!

Alexander Alex
09-02-2010, 07:39 AM
This is an advanced topic describing how to create a pop up window. An example of a pop up window is when a visitor clicks on a link, and then a new window "pops" open. You might want to use a pop open window to allow a visitor to click on a linked word, and then pop up a new window with a definition of that linked word. Before undertaking this advanced topic, first consider if you really want to create a pop up window at all. To combat annoying advertisements, many visitors have installed "pop up blocker" software by organizations such as Google. This software prevents all pop ups, including any pop ups that you will build using the information in this help article.
As an alternative to pop up windows, you might consider implementing your idea using standard links (see the article titled "How to add a link to your page") or Links within a page / anchors (see the article titled "How to create links within a page (anchors)" ).

There are three steps to creating a pop up window:
Create JavaScript code that will create a function to pop open the new window
Create the code for the pop up window itself
Create a link to the pop up window (created in step 2) using the JavaScript code (created in step 1)