PDA

View Full Version : send text to textarea.

dynankaan
08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Greetings!!

im creating a "news field" on my website and i want it to be easily updated by anyone in the crew. The big problem is that noone in the crew exept for me got dreamweaver, so i was thinking about maybe i could create a textbox with a submit button (allmost like a comment box) to send the written text to the news field. The textbox with submit button should be located on a page where you have to enter a password to enter.

Example:

Textbox location: mysite.com/admin (password to enter page)

News field location: mysite.com (start page)

the first thing i do if i want to change the content in "news field" is to type in the URL to the location of the textbox, then i write the news in the textbox, when im done i just press the button "submit" to post the new content of the "news field".

Is this possible? or is there a better and easier way to this?.
I just want it to be easy for my crew to change the news.

Can someone help me!?

With kind regards

Dynankaan

Corrosive
08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Cushy CMS is your friend; http://www.cushycms.com/

If you want to get really tech then look at a CMS such as Modx or Wordpress.

davidj
08-31-2010, 03:00 PM
So your not promoting Drupal!!

tut tut

Corrosive
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
So your not promoting Drupal!!

tut tut

I would but thought it was overkill for this little job. I do love and hate Drupal at the same time!

dynankaan
08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
thanks for helping me out guys!!

I have another question, can you help me with a free Photoalbum to intergrate to my webside, it has to be easy to use for my crew and it would be great if it looks good too =)
Can you help me once again?

Corrosive
09-01-2010, 06:06 AM
OK, sounds like you are going to need a bit more than just Cushy for this website. Have you fully planned out what you need it to do in the end? I'm assuming that it is some kind of collaborative website for you and some friends. You all want to be able to make slight changes, add content etc but with no web design knowledge other than yours.

This being the case there may be one overall solution (probably a full CMS) that will do everything you need in one package. So, rather than taking a bit here and a bit there it would be good to plan the whole thing and post it here so we can advise on the best platform for you to build on.

Hope that makes sense.

dynankaan
09-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Im building this website for my sportclub and the leaders of this club want it to be easy to edit the site (just the news and photos).
So i just need a good solution for the leaders to easily change/edit photos and news, no more than that.
Can you recommend any suitable platforms for me?

Corrosive
09-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Hiya

There are a number of free to download and use (open source) CMS platforms out there. I'll try and give you a quick summary of the ones I've used;

Wordpress: Very popular and incredibly well supported by the community. Great for news and blog roll websites and there are some neat plug-ins you can extend it with. The nice thing about Wordpress is it can be up and running 'out-of-the-box' almost immediately. There are also some good templates out there.

The draw-backs of Wordpress are that it always ends up feeling 'bloggy' to me and hacking tamplates and functionality can be frustrating. Not my chosen workflow as I like to build from the ground up to get what I want rather than switching stuff off.

ModX CMS: A fairly new kid on the scene so the support and extras are still quite limited (although photo gallery and page updates I have done in the past). The nice thing about Modx is the freedom to take any design/template you have designed from scratch and just plug it in. By this I mean you add the functionality you want to use rather than Wordpress where you end up switching stuff off. You can be up and running in a day with a CSS based design and all the functionality you'll need for a collaborative site.

The ModX community is small but very friendly and helpful.

Drupal framework: How brave are you feeling? Drupal is the best of both worlds. Build everything up from scratch, including the design template and the amount of modules (plug-ins) is incredible. Pretty much EVERYTHING you could want/need is there.

The downside of Drupal is the learning curve. It is like mechano where you literally have to build everything to get it to function. It's not an 'out-of-the-box' job at all. I am learning Drupal at the moment and love it and hate it in equal measures. I'd recommend a lot of web experience under your belt or a lot of spare time to tackle Drupal. I will say again though that the results in what you can build are amazing.

the Drupal community is in danger of dissapearing up its own a**e in my opinion. If you don't build modules from scratch they don't want to know. Luckily David J has been on hand to help me when I am about to chuck my PC out of the window but I'd have been stuck without him.

Honestly I'd look at Wordpress and ModX first and see if they will do what you want. Then consider the Drupal route.

Hope that helps :)

edbr
09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
not that im a fan but it would be worth looking at joomla as far text to content and galleries that can be done easily. lots os free components and mods around. just the template to sort out

dynankaan
09-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi

ooh godness... now i know what i have to do after work =) thanks alot!!

Im currently using Dreamweaver to build the site from scratch so i was more looking for a easy way to administrate the websites news and photoalbum without programming knowledge.
I actually like Cushy CMS for edit and change news on the site, but i want a photoalbum too, the photoalbum dont have to be the same program/service as "news edit program/service".

What i mean is that im programming the website in dreamweaver but i want a free easy used photoalbum to intergrate in my site and i want the "news field" to be editable by the leaders ?

Thanks for helping me!!! i really appreciate it!!

dynankaan
09-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi

Now i know what im doing to night!! thanks alot!!

Im currently using dreamweaver to build the site from scratch, so i want to design my own templates.
Im more looking for a easy way to administrate the news and photoalbum for the leaders.
I actually like Cushy CMS to edit the news, but i want a free easily used Photoalbum to intergrate in website too.
Can you help me with that? it dont have to be the same service as the "news edit service" =)

thank you.

Corrosive
09-01-2010, 08:51 AM
This sort of thing might be OK; http://www.gallerycms.com I would always advise one platform/one log-in but it's up to you of course. This may do for the time being until you can decide on a way forward.

dynankaan
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi

okey, I will spend my night decide what device/program/service i will use to get this webside as good and easy as possible. Ill tell you later what device i decided to use =)

Thanks alot mate =)

Corrosive
09-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Cool. Let us know how you get on.

Ricky55
09-01-2010, 09:29 PM
You can create sites using Wordpress Corrosive that don't feel like a blog. I know what you mean if you use a some templates but it can be customised.

Textpattern and Expression Engine are also supposed to very good and have good communities.

If you only want a simple plugin system have you looked at Perch, seems very easy to set up.

Corrosive
09-02-2010, 06:11 AM
You can create sites using Wordpress Corrosive that don't feel like a blog.

Yes, agreed but the workflow makes no sense to me. Why start with something and switch half the features off to get what you want? Makes no sense to me when you can start with a clean slate and get exactly what you want by building upwards. I'd imagine the database itself is more efficient as well. Although I have never checked I wouldn't have thought tables get deleted when you switch stuff off, they just don't get used.