PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 margin issues ...

Finland Blue
08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I spent the day discovering how differently IE 6 displays various things than later versions of IE and the current versions of Firefox and Chrome.

One thing I just could not figure out is if text is displayed in IE 6, and its margins are approximately double what it is supposed to be, is there any way to get around this bug? I used the display : inline to correct poistioning of div elements, but this did not seem to work with <p> and <h1> etc text. Should it be fixed by the same way, or is there another way to approach it?

edbr
08-30-2010, 02:39 AM
does the page break down or just not display the same? if the latter i would not spend time worrying about it personally

Finland Blue
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
It was just margins of some text blocks.

I finally corrected it with a global CSS reset. I don't fully understand those things, but in this case it worked! Now pages in IE 6 and IE 7, display exactly same as IE 8 (and the current Chrome and Firefox browsers) without me making any additional changes.

edbr
08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
no problem then i just dont worry about ie6 unless it is really dreadful

Ricky55
08-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Always use a good browser reset, use the one created by Eric Meyer, this covers everything.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/

Basically all a reset does is zero out all values so you are starting from a even level for all browsers. Each browser has it's own default way of styling all html elements until you tell it otherwise so its just far easier to reset these so you know your styles are in control.

Regarding the double margin bug in IE. This only affects IE6 and it only affects floated elements and as you mention the solution is to display: inline;

I usually have a separate style sheet for IE 6 and 7.

For a lot of my recent sites unless a client specifically requests and is willing to pay extra for I state in my quotes that I don't fully support IE6.

This is quite useful I find

http://www.browserupgrade.info/

This prompts all users of IE6 to upgrade their browser.

On some sites especially larger sites with dynamic content you can spend ages fixing annoying IE6 bugs.

The more you get into web design the more you'll develop a hatred for IE.