PDA

View Full Version : Can't insert a table in Dreamweaver

Dr_Atomic
08-26-2010, 05:12 AM
I'm using DW MX (I know it's older, but it's good), and I had been successfully using the program from an external hard drive plugged into my laptop. I just got a new external hard drive, transferred all my data to it, then started to use DW with it on my new laptop. I discovered that DW "cleaned my slate" of sites, and I had to recreate them (I had three). If that was the only issue, I would be past it. Everything was recreated fine.

However, now that I have the sites recreated, I went to modify one of my pages by inserting a table. But I click the table icon and absolutely nothing happens. I can also do Insert -> Table and nothing happens there, either. On any page I open. I can insert images, no problem.

I have no idea what happened and why I suddenly can't put in a table. The only thing that changed is me moving my DW program from one HD to another.

Can someone help?

edbr
08-26-2010, 05:52 AM
it sounds like it could be a faulty installation , you might have to reinstall

Corrosive
08-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Is the option greyed out or will it just not work? Btw you can always code a table in there. That will work.

Dr_Atomic
08-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Is the option greyed out or will it just not work? Btw you can always code a table in there. That will work.

The table icon isn't grayed out. I fooled around with trying to insert table code, but nothing happened there, either. But I may not have done it right, as I'm an amateur with code.

I may try the major general's suggestion of doing a reinstall. I don't have many options.

Corrosive
08-26-2010, 07:32 AM
<table>
<tr>
<th></th>
<th></th>
<th></th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
</table>

Will give you a three by three table with the top row (tr) being headers (th) and the rext being cells (td)

See if that works.

Dr_Atomic
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
it sounds like it could be a faulty installation , you might have to reinstall

If I have to reinstall, should I remove the existing DW in Add/Remove programs first, or just reinstall over the existing DW program?

Corrosive
08-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Add/remove first. have you tried hand-coding a table?

DWcourse
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
you also might want to deactivate (under the help menu) so you don't lose an install (Adobe limits the number of installs for a given serial number).

Dr_Atomic
09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
I reinstalled DW onto my new laptop running Windows 7. Well, I still can't insert a table in any fashion. I had been using DW from my external HD. It seems that it doesn't want to work on this laptop for some reason (a Samsung), whereas it's worked fine with every Windows XP computer I plugged my hard drive into.

I also tried to insert table code into a new page, but nothing happened (I'm not great at coding, but I think I did it right).

I'm mystified. I'm at the verge of having to go out and get the newest Dreamweaver just so I can use it again.

Any more ideas? I'm out.

Corrosive
09-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Just bear in mind that tables for layout are pretty much non-existant as I understand it in new versions of Dreamweaver. Been replaced by CSS and div based layouts. Please try the trial version first!

edbr
09-06-2010, 06:22 AM
you can still insert tables in cs5, sadly

Corrosive
09-06-2010, 06:25 AM
How come we get so many back here moaning that Adobe have 'taken their tables away'?

edbr
09-06-2010, 07:36 AM
dont know, i just looked and there it is, insert>tables. also can insert frames same menu list

gentleone
09-06-2010, 07:47 AM
you can still insert tables in cs5, sadly

I think there's nothing wrong with that if you insert a table where its meant for :)

edbr
09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
i agree, just should come with a "using tables for web layout can seriously upset some people " warning :)

gentleone
09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
and if your aim (or client persist on it) is to have a valid XHTML table, than you'll have to edit the inserted table anyway to get the <thead>, <tbody> and <tfoot> so in these cases i Just code it straight away.

Dr_Atomic
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Well, I guess I'm done with DW. I'm unemployed, so I can't get another more recent version, and I still can't insert a table, even with all the aforementioned suggestions - even handcoding. I click the table icon and nothing happens. I go to Insert > Table and nothing happens.

I guess I did something to cause this, but I don't know what it was. What in the world would cause DW to so absolutely deactivate tables in such as way? :confused:

Dr_Atomic
01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Just bear in mind that tables for layout are pretty much non-existant as I understand it in new versions of Dreamweaver. Been replaced by CSS and div based layouts. Please try the trial version first!

I'm using DW MX, and I've never had trouble inserting tables before with it. I might add that I just bought a laptop which uses Windows 7, and this OS has caused unrelated problems..... I wonder if that could have something to do with it.

I've been playing around with this DW some more, and I finally managed to insert a table, albeit an extreme workaround. I copied and pasted the code from an existing table from a different webpage, and it let me to that. Now I have to go in and modify the table to suit my current need. What a pain in the neck.

You say I can use CSS to make a table now? I don't know anything about it, but if it can solve my dilemma it would be a great help. Thanks.

DWcourse
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Sorry about your issue but it really not reasonable to expect an old program to work flawlessly with a new operating system.

Dr_Atomic
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Sorry about your issue but it really not reasonable to expect an old program to work flawlessly with a new operating system.

So you think this could be the root problem?

DWcourse
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
that would be my guess

gentleone
01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
So you think this could be the root problem?
And I'm pretty sure.

edbr
01-10-2011, 01:04 AM
why not have a look at htmlkit. its not as powerful as DW but it is a good free editor with a lot of free plugins,