PDA

View Full Version : How to buy Dreamweaver

Finland Blue
08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I want to upgrade my (very) old Dreamweaver version to the latest CS5.

I saw on the Adobe web site it currently costs 399 USD (which in my home currency is 313 EUR (euros).

When I tried to buy, I was transferred to a "Finland store" where the same product costs 552 EUR (euros) - which is equivalent to 696 USD!

Why the difference, and how can I buy it for the 399 USD price?

Corrosive
08-24-2010, 08:41 AM
We always have to pay more in Europe for software. It is pretty much double the price in the UK as well! You can order it from the US but check VERY carefully about licensing and whether you will be able to register a US product in Europe.

edbr
08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
in indonesia window 7 is a little over 100US , a third world price from microsoft

davidj
08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Rip off Britain/Europe? Yes to an extent but there are financial, economic factors at work.

I bought a car a couple of years ago which was a factory order and built in the US. By the time it was delivered it had doubled in price compared to the price you would pay in the states.

You cant really make country comparisons like this as its all to do with the economy. You can complain about an expensive product but not based on how much it costs in Somalia compared to the UK

I teach my lessons and have a set fee. I am working, in some instances for less than minimum wage! but I choose to do this so I can target as much as the world as possible. Although I have been told I am too expensive for Africa which is understandable.

Corrosive
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I can understand Europe vs Bali or Africa but Europe vs USA really shouldn't be that different should it?

davidj
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
If I was to take a job in the states as a developer on their rates I might not earn enough to come back!!

I think their economy is modelled on the level of wealth in the country. Selling a product at UK rates in the states would never sell.

The companies bottom line in both countries could be $1000000 and 1000000 respectivley. Both have made a million and that's what matters. Both have done equally well but if you compare them you will see that the US company made a little over half as much as the UK company from a UK perspective

Corrosive
08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
If I was to take a job in the states as a developer on their rates I might not earn enough to come back!!

I'd imagine the temptation for Mrs Jackson to book you a flight is almost too much to bear... :wink:

davidj
08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I would disagree if I thought it wasn't true!

Finland Blue
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
For exactly the same product, when its delivered on-line, it should be the same price anywhere the world.

Now I've seen it advertised at 399 USD, why am I going to be happy to pay 696 USD just because I'm sitting on another country.

Corrosive
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree it sucks and yet most of us don't bat an eyelid when we buy a car or a Playstation 3 for twice the price of the US. It even has a name in popular phraseology in the UK. We call it 'rip-off Britain'.

davidj
08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I wonder how cheap you could find it if you searched country specific site vendors?

Another way of looking at it. If you bought it over in the US then landed a Job in your home country no one would bat an eyelid when you relocated. Its more of a tax issue I think in this senario.

when its delivered on-line, it should be the same price anywhere the world.

It doesn't matter whether you get a hard copy or its in downloaded on-line it will always be priced differently

Corrosive
08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Its more of a tax issue I think in this scenario.

That's probably hit the nail on the head. Good question though Finland Blue.

Finland Blue
08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. At least I know I am not (technically) being ripped off ;-) The tax-free cost in Finland (ie, VAT-free) price is still higher than the US cost, by some distance. But, well, if it costs that, it costs that. It better had be a damned good improvement to my MX 6.0 ;-)

davidj
08-25-2010, 02:47 PM
It better had be a damned good improvement to my MX 6.0 ;-)

I use netbeans now for most of my work

Does the trick and it's free

d a v e
08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
try the trial before you commit to buying (DW i mean)

DWcourse
08-25-2010, 07:41 PM
It better had be a damned good improvement to my MX 6.0 ;-)

It's a huge improvement but expect a major learning curve with the new features, CSS, CSS page layout, etc.