PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Cart for DW

kearnsy
08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Evening all, i've came across something called cartweaver, which by the sound of things, sounds exactly like what i'm looking for to help me learn how to add a shopping cart to a site

The makers of the software say this about the learning curve....

"To work with Cartweaver, or any dynamic web application, you will need to be familiar with (or at least be willing to learn about) setting up a dynamic development environment by installing a web server such as IIS for ASP, Apache for PHP, or ColdFusion server.

Next you will need to connect to your database by creating a 'DSN' (data source name). If you're using Adobe Dreamweaver, its documentation covers this quite well"

So my question to you guys is....where should i start, obviously it should be the beginning, but where is the beginning?

Is it php, asp, coldfusion etc. that's sort of what's throwing me off the scent

I know absolutely nothing about web development, so can anyone point me to the beginning if that makes sense?

I'm getting comfortable now with building a site in dreamweaver & css, so i'd like to learn how to add a shopping cart.

Thanks folks.

DWcourse
08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
If all you want is a shopping cart, you might think of hiring someone to help you set up one of the open source options that are available.

Basically I'd start learning with html/CSS and then begin picking up some of the basics of php. But none of those are exactly non-trivial.

edbr
08-19-2010, 01:10 AM
my recommendation would be php, its very powerful and gives you better options regarding hosting at least generally price wise ( IMO )
if this is for th leaning experience it couldbe good , a shopping cart is noyt a small undertaking . most ,even the open source include javascript via jquery to aid design , the most important side of them is the security , this is important if the shopping cart is to go into production as you would potentially be dealing with peoples bank account details. there are some tutorias on the web which may help.

if you go open source i advise prestashop these days , the knowledge you need of php is nil. out of the box, the most you need to know is how to set up a database and give permission in mysql.

edbr
08-19-2010, 01:14 AM
i just looked at cartweaver and it really is no more than a shopping cart i have mentioned except its 150$ prestashop however is free. as are several others

Corrosive
08-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Second vote for Prestashop. Ed flagged it up to me a little while ago and it really is good :) Loads of features and a really professional looking cart.

kearnsy
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Cheers guys, so you think it's possible for someone like myself with no knowledge of php, asp to add a cart to a site with prestashop?

edbr
08-20-2010, 01:16 AM
yes im sure of it

Corrosive
08-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Cheers guys, so you think it's possible for someone like myself with no knowledge of php, asp to add a cart to a site with prestashop?

It's not so much about adding a cart to an exisiting site. Prestashop is a full e-commerce package that you can style up to look like the rest of your site. I just take the theme it ships with and hack the CSS until it looks how I want it.

As one other option that may be more suitable for adding to an exisiting site, maybe look at Foxycart but bear in mind that Prestashop has all the goodies like stock control functions etc.

You can always ask here when you get stuck and the Prestachop forum and wikki are very good indeed :)

edbr
08-20-2010, 07:50 AM
yes either the shop is the whole site or you can install in a seperate folder. another option ive disscovered is you can use it in your main (root) folder and still have a index.hml as your entry page as the shops default is index.php.

kearnsy
08-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Cheers guys

So what's the story with payment and stuff?

Imagine i built 3 different sites, for 3 different clients, would i have to pay 3 times?

Corrosive
08-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Why would you pay for someone else's payment gateway dude?

kearnsy
08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Ahh right, i see, so it's the client who pays for the shop?

Excuse my stupidity chaps, but how does the company make their money?

edbr
08-23-2010, 01:20 AM
its a shop. so you buy wholesale (or with discount) sell for more. this is called profit. you can put profit in the bank or spend it

Corrosive
08-23-2010, 06:56 AM
you can put profit in the bank or spend it

Or stuff a mattress with it in these uncertain times.