PDA

View Full Version : Question about tables in dreamweaver

robert123a
08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I know there is probably a simple solution to this, but I have menu button images in a table going down the left side of the page, and a content section in the middle. I made each button a slice in fireworks and imported to dreamweaver.

When there is no content all the buttons are lined up touching, but as I keep adding paragraphs to the content section, more and more space between the navigation buttons is added.

How do I keep them touching and not move when content is added?

Thank You

DWcourse
08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
First of all, this is a typical reason not to export html from Fireworks, Photoshop or whatever. Secondly it's also a reason not to use tables for your web layout.

The quick answer is to put all the button in one table cell and vertically align the cell to the top.

The better but harder answer is to learn to use divs for layout.

Ricky55
08-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Or more precisely use CSS and properly structured semantic HTML code to create layouts.

I've seen a lot of beginners create layouts with hundreds of divs, which is really not better than using tables, they are just using Divs instead of table cells.

DWcourse
08-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Or more precisely use CSS and properly structured semantic HTML code to create layouts.

I've seen a lot of beginners create layouts with hundreds of divs, which is really not better than using tables, they are just using Divs instead of table cells.

Good point!