PDA

View Full Version : Javascript or Flash

SpiritedAway
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
On my website I want to create a slideshow with some images I have - but I know I can do this in Flash and in Javascript - can anyone recommend what best practise is.

Also, I know this is going to sound stupid, but what actually does Javascript do that Adobe CS5 can't - after all Javascript is a client-Side programme like Adobe software.

Thanks

SpiritedAway

gentleone
08-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd recommend to use JavaScript and especially a JavaScript library such as jQuery or Mootools. Using Flash these days would be an overkill for a simple task like a slideshow and Apple blocked embed Flash movies on their iPhones and iPads because they would otherwise crash, so your nice Flash slideshow will not be displayed on these machines. Google for jQuery slideshow and you'll find heaps of them ready to implement.

JavaScript is a totally different thing then Adobe CS5. JavaScript is a scripting language to make pages interactive and CS5 Design Premium for instance is just a handy toolbox for web developers.

DWcourse
08-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Flash has it's uses but if you can accomplish the same thing with JavaScript (and the frameworks gentleone mentioned are excellent) I'd definitely go with Javascript.

edbr
08-12-2010, 02:03 AM
although i agree with using javascript i really dont think this is true ,
Apple blocked embed Flash movies on their iPhones and iPads because they would otherwise crash i beleive the reason given is uses too much battery and memory life but that may also be a smoke screen . this is interesting
http://blogs.computerworld.com/16217/ipad_gets_flash_as_apple_says_2m_ipads_sold

and this http://smokescreen.us/ as mentioned, could be interesting

Corrosive
08-12-2010, 08:25 AM
and this http://smokescreen.us/ as mentioned, could be interesting

Now THAT is clever! Great spot Ed.

davidj
08-12-2010, 12:03 PM
The reason for flash to be given the elbow is this...

Flash could provide a way for developers to write apps / games which bypass the app store. Also Jobs does not like the idea that third party vendors have a say in his product development. With this in mind it wouldn't surprise me if Apple came up with their own flash clone. One which they control 100% and does not compete with their apps.

So with 3 million IPad users out there is it worth using flash. I don't think so. You can have bling without the need for animation. Those days are over I think or at least they should be once the 12 year old's realise this. I think flash will go to the same grave yard as the rotating envelope gif's. It has become uncool I think.

The easiest way for a developer to cover off the IPad users is to omit flash content. Either that or deny them access to your content then you have to ask yourself why am I building a web site in the first place. If the self gratification and the 'Look at the bling I created mates' your first priority then the point was missed.

Ricky55
08-13-2010, 12:02 AM
There's more to Flash than Bling mate. I think it's way too early to say that Flash will die just because Apple have chosen not to allow it. Loads of mobile devices do support flash and Adobe are constantly evolving the player to work with gestures.

Flash is also great for custom video players, loads of websites still use Flash for video.

I think the best solution is to build a mobile site specifically for mobile devices such as the iPad. Even jQuery slideshows don't work well on mobile devices especially if the images are of a decent size.

I agree with you on why Apple made this decision though. It has nothing to do with crashes or power consumption and everything to do with the App store. It's a massive shame I think as the Flash community would have been great for the App Store.

edbr
08-13-2010, 02:48 AM
i think animation on sites is at least partially a marketing tool perhaps more that just aesthetics. motion attracts the eye ands draws visitors attention to a product or service. as used in banners by large companies. i think this will keep it alive on its own.
as for the flash battle isnt u-tube insisting on keeping flash ? at least for now as well as chat programs on 'dating' sites that will be a hurdle to overcome in the war of world web domination.

davidj
08-13-2010, 07:29 AM
youtube is using HTML5 and supports the IPad. It depends on your platform but i think it auto detects

If they allowed flash on the IPad then it would be a perfect device

Ricky55
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Aye I agree, it's a shame apple have taken their bat and ball home over this.