PDA

View Full Version : adding welcome [user] to secured pages

Skunk
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I have searched hi and lo to work this out as im only pretty new to this. I am trying to add a Welcome User message to pages after the user has logged in to the sit and I am at a total los. Can you help me. I searched the forum and couldnt find anything and I tried the tutorial as well. I am currently using dreamweaverCS5 and any help would be appreciated.

and by the way this forum rocks there is heaps of info I am going to be able to use.

Corrosive
08-11-2010, 12:30 PM
It's fairly complicated and it depends how you are doing your log in. Say, for example it in PHP and your database table holds the key facts about your customer.

The log in process will interrogate the database using the info (username and password for instance) put in by the customer.

If the username and password exist in the database you can create a session using the primary key that identifies that customer.

Then use that session variable to interrogate the database again to find out what the users name is and echo that out on the page where you want the welcome message.