PDA

View Full Version : Table background transparency?

Fletch
08-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Hello community,
I have been using and playing with Dreamweaver for awhile now since mx and currently use DW8 Im a little behind the upgrades. Anyways I always used layers when trying to figure out site building myself then slowly got into table learning it makes centering multiple screen resolutions much easier. Well i have a question and let me prefrenece with I know nothing about code or writing or much of anything about it I alway design in design mode. Ok heres what id like to do...

I start a new html document with a fixed frame on top for my title area. Then in the page body i set my background image to lets say an american flag that is a single image filling the page ground that is fixed. I then center and insert a table that is set at 800 wide...Now what i want to be able to do is to have inside the table set the background to like a see thru transparent color ie lets say I pick grey and I want to make it 50 percent see thru so I can add text in the table that is readable yet the page background of the flag will be seen behind it lightly while the page background to the sides of the table remain fully seen for widescreen as afiller. How do i make the background with in the table opaque color? I can choose transparency if it was the entire page background but in the table properties I can only choose a solid color but I dont want it solid I want it to be light and see thru to my page background...any simple way to do this? do i need to make an image the size of the table that opaque then fill the background then layer on that with type orrr i have no idea any help would be appreciated and if its code remember I try never to have to touch code so talk to me as a child.Thanks

edbr
08-11-2010, 02:00 AM
you are going in the wrong direction use divs (layers positioned relatively) for layout and if you really mean frame ..well dont use frames.
really tables are not recomended fro this purpose then in you div attributs dont set a background and it will be transparent

Fletch
08-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the reply..I dont really follow what your saying about divs? i dont use divs I have seen them in there and if I go to code view I see them but would have no idea how to use them as like I said when it comes to code I have no clue which is why I like dreamweaver as it writes all the code for you for the most part. Yes I use actual frames as it makes what i want quick and simple. On this particular page I use one frame nested at the top drag its divere to size I want so then I have the top frame and then the body itsself. Then Im using a solid background color for the top frame add my center tabled put my title in centered and thats all done nice and neat 10 seconds. I then go to the body I use a single widescreen HD image to fill the background .Now I go to insert choose table set it at 1row 1 column 800pixels hit ok and I now have a table centere in my page at the size of 800 so it will fit older resolution squzre monitors and if its a user with widescreen like my 24 inch monitor the background filles the edges as I want. Now I dont select a color for the background in the table as by default it has always shown up white in color I type my text in save it and view and it is solid white even though no color is selected when designed. Id like to have it be opaquer so I can still lightly see my pages main background thru it but the words will be 100% solid and easy to read on top in the table.Not sure if this explains where Im at better or not..I dont use layers much anymore but I do sometimes use them to place an image in a table or then the table keeps them position correctly when viewed on multiple browsers and resolution monitors.....like www.designersdeskusa.com (http://www.designersdeskusa.com) was one I had built mixing bits of frames tables and flash design..maybe Ill upload what Im doing so it can be seen to get a better idea of what Im trying..

edbr
08-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Yes I use actual frames as it makes what i want quick and simple.
they do not have cross browser support and usually interfere with search engines returning your site descriptions
I use a single widescreen HD image to fill the background
be careful of page size

Now I dont select a color for the background in the table as by default it has always shown up white in color I type my text in save it and view and it is solid white even though no color is selected when designed
good reason to use divs not tables which have not been recommended for 5 years now

Corrosive
08-11-2010, 06:56 AM
I actually don't think you can give a table background a transparency (even with alpha filter applied through CSS) without it effecting the contents of the table as well, i.e. the text.

You may just have to rethink your design on this one.

Fletch
08-11-2010, 03:39 PM
On the frames I have not run into any browser not rendering or displaying them correct. I check the work using firefox, IE,Netscape Navigator (old),Opera,Chrome, and minefield and all always display correctly and never an issue with the frames so not sure which browsers that leaves other then safari for apple but not a concern of mine as safari isnt used that much. When i look at my page stats 85% of visitors are using firefox now.Search engines seems to spider just fine with the exception of flash menus at first which is why Id always hide a hyperlink with a site map sor the spiders all my pages seem to show up fine in search engines and seem to be indexed quickly as if I change something or add it shows in the engine within 48 hours usually so havent had any issue there. Then on my page size the HD images I use I tend to knock thier display resolution down and I figure my lowest connections at 1 mg which is pretty slow in todays connection speeds and they load instantly with that slow speed.I havent done any sites catering to mobile viewing really yet as phones are just now getting to be usable for full page viewing I was using a java script to detect screen res for phone browser which redirected to a dumbed down site version for phones but dont always do that....Divs I guess are helpful i just havent learned how to use them and where to put code ever as once I got my first dreamweaver prog it kinda was a bad thing since it did all coding for you I never had a reason to go back in really except for an occasional look. Every tut I have watched online though discusses using tables over layers but not to much on div usage but as I said I have a lot to learn as I self figure this out.....I figured there was some code that could be entered for table background transparency since they do allow you to pick background colors that you could specify something like a transparency percentage in the actual code...Guess Ill keep thinking on it I have seen what I am wanting just not sure how to do it how ever way it gets done

Corrosive
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
You can always use the alpha transparency or opacity value in the HTML code itself. Just add something like style="opacity:0.4;filter:alpha(opacity=40)" to your table code.

Corrosive
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
This might help; http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_image_transparency.asp

Corrosive
08-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Sorry just to add that I've researched further and I think when I said;

I actually don't think you can give a table background a transparency (even with alpha filter applied through CSS) without it effecting the contents of the table as well, i.e. the text.

That still stands. Maybe create what you want with clever use of images?