PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Bullfrog
07-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Hello. I am a complete novice with regard to designing a web-site but my research indicates that the best software for the purpose is Dreamweaver. I would like to ask your collective opinions whether it is possible to learn to use Dreamweaver, self-teaching, in front of my computer, with the software package. I am retired so have plenty of time.
Thank you everyone for your kindness.

Corrosive
07-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Hello. I am a complete novice with regard to designing a web-site but my research indicates that the best software for the purpose is Dreamweaver. I would like to ask your collective opinions whether it is possible to learn to use Dreamweaver, self-teaching, in front of my computer, with the software package. I am retired so have plenty of time.
Thank you everyone for your kindness.

Yes, of course. That's how 95% of us here learned the software. Just be aware that it is not just the software you need to learn but the principals behind good web design. I wrote this a while back; http://corrosiveonline.co.uk/articles_beginner_mistakes.php it may help you avoid the 'noob traps'.

We can always help you out when you have questions.

Welcome to the forum :)

Bullfrog
07-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Thank you Corrosive. A speedy and very helpful reply. Doubtless I will be on the forum when things go wrong with my first attempts.
Have a nice day.

Bullfrog
07-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello again Corrosive. I followed the link and found your site very interesting, it's in my favourites. What delighted me was to discover that you are from Bristol, as am I. Born in Montpellier and raised on a council estate in Saint Annes. Now retired and living in France.
Thanks again.

Corrosive
07-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Proper Bristolian :) I was born in Aylesbury but Bristol is my home and I love it. I actually live with my wife in Portishead now but we have lived in Bedminster and Brislington before.

Retiring to France does sound nice though and Normandy is an area we try to visit if we are over.

DWcourse
07-31-2010, 12:38 AM
On of my suggestions would be to always use Dreamweaver's split view where you see the code and the WYSIWYG view at the same time. Then pay attention to the changes that occur in the code as you build your pages. Also, if you use one of the built-in layouts from Dreamweaver (and they are nicely designed - especially the ones in CS5) be sure to read the comments both on the pages and in the HTML and CSS code. You can learn a lot from those comments.

Good luck!

Bullfrog
07-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Good morning DW.
Thank you for your reply, most helpful.
Have a nice day.