PDA

View Full Version : communication between excel sheet and website

Sonyk
07-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Hello,

I dont know if this forum can help me out but I will try. Sorry if my questions are not suited for this forum and thank you anyway.

I have several excel sheets, covered with macros, checkboxes, listboxes, hyperlinks and stuff. I want to put them online in a website. How can I do this?

I am working with Dreamweaver but I dont know how to make the excel sheets appear in the website exactly as they are, with the checkboxes and all the stuff included (i have used VBA for creating them in the excel).

Also I want to make some spreadsheets visible and others not. In the website, the user should fill the "imput data" sheet, click on a button and the sheets with the conclusions should appear. The user could not see or download the excel sheets with the calculations involved.

How can i put this sort of communication to work?

Thank you very much

Corrosive
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think you're going to be able to do exactly what you want I'm afraid. You need your application converted to use a recognised web language rather than written in Excel AFAIK. Unless anyone else has any ideas?

Sonyk
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I thougt so...

I thought another way to solve this problem. I think the best solution in order to maintain the excel integrity is to separate sheets by a download/upload process.

I mean, I have a sheet (the "imput data" one) and the user can download it from the website. Then the user fill it up in his computer and upload to the website. The website verifies the integrity of the sheet and put the values needed in the hidden sheet "calculations". The "calculations" send the conclusions to another sheet ("conclusions") and the user can download it.

I think this is the best way to perserve all the work in excel that I have done. What is your opinion? How can I do this?

I have atacched a schematic to explain better

Many thanks

Corrosive
07-28-2010, 06:19 AM
I think the issue you will run into is that excel isn't designed to be delivered over the web. Having said that, I don't use Windows servers so there may be options to explore there. We had someone with a similar problem to you here a year or so ago and not sure how far he got with it.

I'd image you'd only be able to deliver to someone with excel on their local machine anyway.

Maybe you could also investigate using a web form for the data and feed that into a .CSV (comma separated values) file to upload to your spreadsheet somehow?

Crux is that excel isn't meant for web apps I'm afraid.

edbr
07-28-2010, 06:42 AM
i really think it would be best served using a server side language i cany imagine even on widows servers that would be possible php or asp but as corrosive says excell is not a web based program it could be used for a database but i 'think' thats about all and generally it is not recomended for that even

Sonyk
07-28-2010, 09:26 AM
damn... :???:

when i made the excell i originaly didnt think to put them online and now i dont want to loose all the work i made... I will think in alternatives however... thank you anyway for your help :wink:

Corrosive
07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
You are welcome. Sorry we couldn't be any more positive on this one.

davidj
07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
build a web app would be the best way