PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver has been ruined?

kevs
07-25-2010, 04:23 AM
I was with DW 8 for long time. When moved to Intel (Mac) Browser preview no longer worked for some reason.
So I just upgraded to CS5 for this one issue.
Now it seems they have removed font and color picker from the html properties. Any work around on this?
What took a nano-second before would now be a huge convoluted ordeal with the CSS property inspector -- just changing font color for one work in an html document.
I'm completely annoyed with this. thanks.

DWcourse
07-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Pardon my crankiness but let me get this right: The last time you updated Dreamweaver it was owned by Macromedia and your Mac was running on a PowerPC. Now you've skipped two versions and you're annoyed that something has changed?

Might I suggest that it's time to put a bit of effort into upgrading your skills as well as your computer and software?

But, if you insist on using the font tag here's how: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/font-tag-dreamweaver-cs4.php.

However you might find making use of the tools built into DW CS5 an even better solution:

1. Select the text you want to style (say make red).
2. In the CSS tab of the Properties Inspector use the pop-up color picker in the lower-right to select your color (or you can set some other property).
3. In the New CSS Rule dialog, give the style rule a name (in the Selector Name filed) and Click OK.

Now you have a new CSS style which you can use throughout your site.

kevs
07-25-2010, 05:51 AM
thanks DW/JC,
well yeah, your crankiness is unwarranted. Look I'm not a web-designer, I'm just an artist with a simple html artist site.
I have been using DW for eight years.
You know that old saying, "it if aint broke"
I'm not saying don't proceed with CSS, but geez, cant they keep things simple for the other tens of millions who where happy before?

Anyway I did find your instruction surprisingly good. Much better than the convoluted, horrid, wrap tag workaround.

Question: so I saved my 1st CSS rule called .red900
I see it now in the dropdown in the targeted rule drowdown, if thats' what it's called.
But I tried then to make a rule to aligning text to the left and it did not work. I selected text, clicked the align left button, called it .alignleft and nothing happened. why not? and how do I delete the corrupt rule out of the dropdown list. thanks!

kevs
07-25-2010, 05:53 AM
PS, I also closed that file, opened up a new file and my rule, .red900 is gone from that drop-down in the property inspector!

DWcourse
07-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Really, the best way to define a CSS rule is using the Format>CSS Styles>New menu item (or the New item in the CSS Styles palette contextual menu).

Although the Properties Inspector is quick it doesn't offer as much control.

For a style to be available for all pages of your site it needs to be saved in external style sheet (New Style Sheet File in the Rule Definition menu of the New CSS Rule dialog). To use styles in an external style sheet you have to attach the external style sheet to the document you are working on (there's an icon for that at the bottom of the CSS Styles palette).

You can handle that by attaching the external stye to your template file. Then it's available for all documents based on that template.

To address the if it ain't broken comment. Personally I don't want to go back to the way the web was 8 years ago. Adobe has made a decision to support current web standards and that's a good thing.

And this is not me being cranky, it's a serious suggestion: You aren't going to be happy with CS5 unless you are willing to upgrade your skills and learn basic CSS. That's a process that will take time (I know, I teach people how to do it). If you aren't willing to invest the time, then I'd recommend going back to DW8 or maybe CS3 if you can get your hands on it. If it won't run on modern equipment, maybe you can find a cheap used Mac if you don't still have your old one. Save the new machine for Photoshop and Illustrator.

kevs
07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
thanks DW, very lucid, but I cannot tell you how vomitous it is to have to re-learn an entire software every eight years. I was perfectly happy with html. So much nicer before. But software engineers just cannot keep it simple. At least Photoshop does not turn the software upside down with an upgrade.I don't notice any difference with CSS. In fact, I don't ever look at code. That's why I got DW in the first place! you think they could have a simple preference to have a property inspector for those who would want a legacy version no?

Ok, I did get as far as 1/2 way but then a box came up asking to save the style sheet and asking about typing in a url -- very confusing, non-intuitive. Can you spoon feed that easier, was a bit hard to follow.
I don't get it -- is there one master file that will hold all the fonts and colors etc?

Also, I have DW8. it works perfectly except that the preview browser is a complete mess and does not work. Do you know how to fix that? Should I put up a new thread on it? Is DW 8 equivalent of CS2 or CS3?

Corrosive
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
is there one master file that will hold all the fonts and colors etc?

Yes, that is correct. Your styles for the site sit in a separate style sheet which you can reference throughout your pages.

Also how was preview in browser broken in DW8? There may be a simple fix if you can explain what is going wrong and then you can stick with something you are more comfortable with.

In defence of DW and Adobe they are aiming CS5 at professionals which is why it has a hefty price-tag. There is loads there to make your workflow smoother and quicker if you know about CSS based design.

If it is not for you (and I can fully understand that as this is your only site and you don't want to be a pro designer) then maybe look at some of the alternatives out there; http://webdesign.about.com/od/freewebeditors/Free_Web_Editors.htm. Sorry can't tell you which is best as I use DW as well.

kevs
07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks Corrosive!

Ok, I'm going to try to return my upgrade. I bough it off the Adobe site. Any tips on getting a successful return? ( spent $170.)

Pity they are all about money and cannot see the software anymore for the layman as well.

Ok, I'll go back to DW8, curious what was the first DW to be native to Intel Macs?

Problem is that preview is does not work with Firefox or Chrome for some reason. Also, ONLY the top Browser in the list is click-able with the mouse -- all others are greyed out for some reason.

kevs
07-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Can one add attachments on this site? How?

anyway Corrosive here is screenshot of that issue:

http://tinypic.com/r/nzlj52/3

DWcourse
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Choose Edit Browser from that menu and set up Safari and Chrome again in your Preview in Browser preferences. And you should be aware that Firefox 3.6 broke something that affects the preview function from Dreamweaver. For FF preview to work you need a version of FF 3.5.

DWcourse
07-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh, and I believe Cs3 and CS4 ran native on Intel.

kevs
07-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks DW/ JC.
Yes I have FF 3.6 so I'm out of luck. Chrome does not work. Ok, Safari and Opera work -- but like I said, only the one at top of the list will click/work, and others are greyed out, although the secondary will work with the keystroke -- any idea why? very bizarre.

Ok, all set to go back to DW8, and think I'll get a refund from Adobe, but someone on another forum said that Html 5 (which I know nothing about -- I know nothing about anything really) -- will not use font tags or something like that. I would hate to refund CS5 only to discover that you absolutey need CSS to publish on the web.
Your opinon. Will using DW8, ie, only traditional html to change colors and text etc be ok for browser for years to come? If not, I may have to call Adobe back and retain CS5.

DWcourse
07-27-2010, 12:44 AM
"Traditional" will probably be supported for years in the major web browsers.

Corrosive
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
"Traditional" will probably be supported for years in the major web browsers.

Yes, I totally agree. Look at all the deprecated tags that still work in modern browsers. You really don't need to worry about HTML5 as 4 will be supported for a very long time if not indefinitely.

CSS is a choice for you. If you don't want to learn it for your site then don't bother. It is your site after all. This does not mean that I wouldn't 100% recommend you do learn it and upgrade your website for multiple reasons but it's for you to decide.

As for preview in browser you could just have the folder with the page in it open somewhere on your desktop and when you want to check it just right click and choose 'open with...' and then your browser. That is Windows btw.