PDA

View Full Version : spry menu bar - Editing in one place?

proctor
07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
hello: i wanted to know, if I make a change the spry menu bar...say i add a new link, should i only need to change it one place? I added the spry menu to my template file, so perhaps that's where I would always make the change?

Thanks,
Proctor

DWcourse
07-23-2010, 10:37 PM
If your menu is in a non-editable region of the template then you can make the change in the template and when the template is saved the change will pass through to all of the pages based upon that template.

If your menu is in an editable region of the template you will need to change the menu on each page where it appears.

proctor
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
DWCourse: Thanks for your reply. How do you go about editing a non-editable portion of the template?

I was planing on putting my navigation in the template using spry menu bar, but now I'm starting to think it might be better to create my menu on an html page and then copy it to a library file to use in the template.

What do you think?

Thanks again,
Proctor

DWcourse
07-23-2010, 11:50 PM
You need to read up on templates. They can save you a lot of time if you use them properly but they can be more trouble than they're worth if you don't understand them.

Templates are a special type of file within Dreamweaver. Once you've created a template you create a page based upon the template by using the File: New menu command and choosing the template in the New Document dialog.

All parts of a template are editable in the template file. The editable and non-editable regions refer to how the regions behave on pages based upon the template.

Non-editable regions are:

Common to all pages based upon the template.
Locked on pages based upon the template.
When a non-editable region is edited in the template (the only place it can be edited) and the template is saved the region is updated on all pages based upon the template.

Editable regions are:

For content unique to the individual page.
Editable on pages based upon the template.
When an editable region is edited in the template and the template is saved the change is not passed to pages based upon the template.

proctor
07-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks for your explanation ...it truly helped my understanding.
I found a tutorial I'm going to work through to help me as well.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Proctor

FergalMohan
07-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Would you be willing to post a link to the Tutorial you mentioned if it turns out to be useful ?
Fergal

proctor
07-25-2010, 06:39 PM
DWCourse: Here's the link:

http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/dreamweaver1.shtml

Thanks again.
Proctor