PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver initial setup question

proctor
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello: I am re-doing an existing website that is old and done using frames.
At any rate, I'm would like to re-do the site using Dreamweaver, so I'm just learning it.

My question is, when I was in the process of following a tutorial, from the menu bar it had me go to "Site->New Site" and set it up; I listed where the site was currently being hosted, but didn't publish anything yet because the pages aren't ready to upload and i don't want to overwrite the current content. e.g. index.html

I was thinking that I would create a subfolder off the current web to publish the files so the user could view the new stuff before going live, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. I'm not sure how else to go about having a space for the user to view the pages before getting rid of the existing stuff.

Also, the tutorial is having me work with a template and I like this idea, because it seems like it would allow me to make the pages uniform. I was wondering what your thoughts are on using the templates? are there any down sides to it? This is a very small site and the content is straight forward.

Thanks for your help and insite.
Proctor

edbr
07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
its fine to use a 'test folder ' thats quite commonly done. you could even if you want secure that folder usih htacces so a user password would be needed to open it.
templates are ok although i prefer to use includes which allow easier site wide changes without having to re upload a lot of files. however that is much less a problem in a small site so should not be a significant downside.

proctor
07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
edbr: thanks for your reply. It's good to know that creating the test folder is commonly done...so I will do that then.

Thanks again,
Proctor

davidj
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I would work locally. Don't connect to your live environment from Dreamweaver. Once you have your new site developed and tested then just push the files up to your live space using a 3rd party FTP client like filezilla

proctor
07-28-2010, 02:30 PM
davidj: Thanks for your input...I'm going to do what you suggested and work locally - then push the files via Filezilla after.

Thanks again,
Proctor