PDA

View Full Version : block folder viewing

Blue_Vision
07-15-2010, 04:19 AM
How to I block the world from seeing inside all my website folders?

edbr
07-15-2010, 06:29 AM
a blank index page in each directory.

DWcourse
07-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I think there's also a server setting that can set whether folders show an index or a 404 if an index.html file isn't present but you probably wouldn't have access to it.

edbr
07-16-2010, 02:00 AM
that is often set by the hoster as a security measure by default

Blue_Vision
07-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks! That does work but it's a very large site with alot of folders:

1. Will having a bunch of blank index files effect my SEO?

2. Is there a way to do this for all my folders via my htaccess file? I hear there is an easy way and I've googled but so far one of them just didn't work... and the other command I found made it so that you couldn't even browser the web pages contained in the folder. The other htaccess commands I've found don't seem to match what I need done.

edbr
07-26-2010, 03:00 AM
no it wont affect SEO AFIK as robots will follow links .
why is it important that your folders cant be read? i cant see why this bothers you so much
who are wanting to keep out

Blue_Vision
07-26-2010, 03:43 AM
There's not anybody I want to block out and I know that if somebody really wanted to then they would be able to get in there...

I just don't think it looks good and it seems to be a practice of most sites to block folder contents somehow...

Sometimes I would google and be directed to a site like:

tshirts.com/losangeles/sports/angels.html
(made up that address)

rather then find the proper link I may shorten the address to:

tshirts.com/losangeles/

and often times there would be an index page there with all the different styles of Los Angeles T-Shirts. Sports, Funny, Namebrand, etc.

In my case they wouldn't at the moment. Maybe in the future. Until then I'd like for them to be presented with a blank page rather then a file directory.

Also, I thought google stayed out of folders but it appears it hasn't and it has listed them in page results as index of /losangeles and then starts naming all my folders. (which I thought was odd for a search result)

Anyways, that's my story but regardless it seems to be a common practice upon web developers so I just wanted my site to be like that as well. Until I figure out a better way to do it I have just been inserting the blank pages...

edbr
07-26-2010, 06:39 AM
right , do you have a index manager onyour site control panel, that should offer you choices default,no indexing etc