PDA

View Full Version : Last words of advice?!

thoughtsinfonts
07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Well, I've pretty much finished my very first website in DS4 and now I'm too nervous to upload it! I already have an active website that this one will be replacing. I'm scared that if I upload the new one, something won't be right and I won't have anything available for customers while I'm fixing it.

I know I need to download the existing website to keep just in case (so I can reload it if mine's a complete bust!) but I'm not sure how. Any advice/encouragement would be wonderful!!!!

Thanks!
kelly

edbr
07-01-2010, 01:28 AM
get fillezilla or another 3rd party ftp program , connect and download to a different folder . i guess you could also do it by creating another site in dreamweaver and downloading form the remote folder (your site)
but why dont you make a new folder on your site called test for example and upload your new site there for testing

thoughtsinfonts
07-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I've been wondering how to do the testing. We had a guy redoing our site and he loaded a home page demo that we could only see when we clicked on the link he gave us. Somehow he "attached" it to the website. Would you mind walking me through the test folder a bit? I haven't downloaded our old website yet so I'm not sure how to create a new folder on our site.

Thx!
kelly

edbr
07-01-2010, 02:38 AM
just make a folder/directory on your site ie test. upload your new site files into it then access live via www.your_site.com/test.
providing your links are relatve you will be fine.