PDA

View Full Version : DW CS5 best source for basics?

Box815
06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm brand new to DW and I'm using the DW CS5 free trial having come over from FrontPage.

Okay, tables are bad and I'm going to use CSS. But what is the basic "unit", what would be called a layer in FrontPage? For example, I want to create a small blue box with white text inside of it. This should be basic but for the life of me I can't even get started and I'm pretty good with FrontPage.

What's the best primer?

Thanks for the help.

edbr
07-01-2010, 01:15 AM
create div , and use relative positioning

Box815
07-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Okay, thanks for the help but how about EXPLAINING WHAT THE HELL YOU MEAN!! I don't know how to "create a div".

Frankly, this is the problem with DW. It assumes you know pricisely how to use it already.

edbr
07-01-2010, 02:41 AM
use insert on the tab at the top. there re a couple of members doing courses here but have you read the help files?F1

Corrosive
07-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the forum

The HTML mark-up for a div is;

<div></div>

You can then style a div using CSS by adding an ID or a Class;

<div id="bluebox"></div>

Then you can add your content;

<div id="bluebox">This is a blue box with some content</div>

Finally create your CSS style for id 'bluebox';

#bluebox {width: 200px; height: 100px; color: #fff; background-color: #33f;}

This is a very rough example and CSS has a lot more to it but it creates a small blue box with white text.

This is the way websites are built nowadays and it separates style from content.

Frankly, this is the problem with DW. It assumes you know pricisely how to use it already.

You started your post saying you wanted to learn but this sounds like you don't. You have to learn every new piece of software you pick up I'm afraid. This forum is a good place for hints and help though and you'll love it once you get it :)

Box815
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the help but I ended my post by asking for suggestions for a primer and having given an example of a simple task that was really complicated by DW.

No one's suggested a single book that would help a beginner, they've just jumped into coding; give a man a fish...teach a man to fish...

As an example, someone says use the Insert menu but I select the Insert menu and I don't see "div" and they didn't give any more info.

Corrosive
07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Dreamweaver The Missing Manual is meant to be good. Try that.

DWcourse
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
To use Dreamweaver effectively, you're going to have to learn some HTML and CSS along the way. One of the most basic (and tricky) aslpect of HTML/CSS and therefore Dreamweaver is page layout. However there are some nice layouts built-in to Dreamweaver you can select on in the New File dialog under the layout column. You might want to try one of those and take a look at the code. There are plenty of explanatory notes in the comments of the HTML and CSS files generated for the page.

edbr
07-02-2010, 01:26 AM
i started with dreamweaver for dummies

Corrosive
07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
i started with dreamweaver for dummies

So did I. 15 chapters about tables and then CSS... what a kick in the pants that was!

edbr
07-03-2010, 01:15 AM
yes i forgot that , still when i read it tables and horse drawn carts were in vogue. bit naive to think they had revised it i guess