PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Explorer Team Should be Drawn and Quartered…

DWcourse
06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
…and then really hurt.

In IE8 I just experienced a page with widths set in ems that would break (one item in a horizontal menu would move to a new line) only with text size set to Larger or Smaller. It works fine at the Largest, Medium and Smallest text sizes!

It was nasty trying to work around it. I'm afraid to check out earlier versions now!

Corrosive
06-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Jim

Just out of curiosity why use ems for page widths?

DWcourse
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I generally don't I had a horizontal text-based menu that I didn't want wapping to two lines if the user has their type size set to larger than normal in the browser so…

Corrosive
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I'd tend to steer clear of anything put px and % for site structure. Have you tried experimenting with; http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/pr_text_white-space.asp at all? Using ems for this seems like it would be far too unpredictable!

DWcourse
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Actually the issue wasn't the text inside the "buttons" wrapping but having one of the buttons wrap to a second line.

BTW, in WordPress I've built skins for the Thesis theme which is em based. They start out setting the text size in the body to 62.5% which makes 1 em = 10px (at normal settings). It's actually not that confusing when you get used to it.

Corrosive
06-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Ah I see :) that makes sense. You're braver then me going for pages in ems!

DWcourse
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Brave or foolhardy. Guess it depends how you look at it (or how the site looks when you're done).