PDA

View Full Version : Help with CSS rules

Enrico B
06-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi there,

I'm new here and a newbie to DW as well.
Following this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWiS6soZfs&feature=channel) tutorial, I wanted to set up a rule that eliminates the margins, for the whole page, so I followed his steps at about 7:00 mins.

Just one thing, in his video the margins were eliminated, but in my case it wasn't, so when I insert a new div tag, it's not attatched to the borders like his, it's about 10-15p down and left like it is when you open it. In other words, mine didn't have any effect.
I'm using DW CS5, not his version, but I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Enrico

Enrico B
06-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Also, he names his "*", while I had to name mine "layout" because the name must start with a letter, I think this is a new thing in CS5. Is the name I gave this thing a problem?

gentleone
06-21-2010, 08:11 AM
The '*' means that the CSS rule will have effect on all the HTML elements of your page, so you'll need that to zero out the margins. If you can't set this in design view, than you'll have to add it in code view.

Enrico B
06-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Wow, thank you for the quick respose! I've been in other forums trying to ask some things and I had to wait days for my thread to be approved and more for an answer. Some questions didn't even gen an answer.

Thank you so much! I know what the problem is then I'll try to correct it.

Regards,
Enrico

Enrico B
06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
It worked, Thank you so much for the quick response!

Regards,
Enrico

gentleone
06-21-2010, 08:18 AM
You're welcome! ;)

Enrico B
06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
One thing that doesn't regard this:

How wide do you recommend me doing my website? standard 800p?
This forum is 1000p right?

gentleone
06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Personally, I don't go higher than 960px wide.

Enrico B
06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks!
I think I'll do a fluid website with no set width though, it fits all monitors, resolutions, and devices.
Or is it better to do a fixed width website?

Enrico

gentleone
06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks!
I think I'll do a fluid website with no set width though, it fits all monitors, resolutions, and devices.
Or is it better to do a fixed width website?

Enrico

I prefer a fixed width or a semi-liquid (100% wide header, footer and/or background image with a fixed width, centered content area) layout, but if a client wants a fully liquid layout than he will get what he wants.
If you go for the liquid layout make sure that you do some research and reading on this, because it's not easy to get a liquid layout cross-browser compatible.

Here are some resources for you:
http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-multi-column-liquid-layouts

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-multi-column-liquid-layouts-em-and-pixel-widths

Enrico B
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks again gentleone!

I decided on a fixed width.

Hey I'm trying to put an image that stays over the background, but behind the central column. Do you have any Idea on how to do that?

Here's my website so you have an idea of what I'm talking about:
www.enricobandolin.com

Enrico

Enrico B
06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
As you can see, I managed to get the image where I wanted, but when I make the browser slimmer the image stays there while the rest closes in with the browser. I put it's values in auto in left and right, but this thing keeps floating on the left side. I want it to stay centered no matter if the browser cuts part of the image.

Enrico B
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
never mind, I got it.