PDA

View Full Version : WTF Spry, y wont you let me define a site

Bentfingers1
06-18-2010, 01:24 AM
I am trying to define a new site in DW CS5. When I enter the site information in the dialogue box I get the following message:
The spry assets folder is not inside the site. Please select a valid folder in your local site root.
The program automatically creates a folder for Spry assets but the error message still appears. I tried creating a new folder, but had the same results. I can't get past this screen. Why is this happening?

DWcourse
06-18-2010, 03:26 AM
What is the path to your Local Site folder in the dialog and what is the path to your Spry Asset folder in the dialog?

otfehd
08-14-2010, 06:12 PM
i have encountered the same exact problem. The issue is that i do not use any spry widgets on my site and therefore shouldn't have to define where they are located. Why does it keep asking me to?? Help!

DWcourse
08-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, when you define your site, Dreamweaver doesn't know if you will use Spry widgets or not. You should only get that error if you have selected a folder for you Spry assets and it's not inside your local site folder. By default DW assumes that you want your Spry assets in a SpryAssets folder in your local site folder. And, it will only make the folder, if you need it. You SHOULD be able to ignore that setting.

I'd say expand the Advanced Settings tab in the Site Setup dialog and then to go into the Spry tab and make sure your folder setting is inside the folder you set as your local site folder. Unfortunately when I try to set the Asset Folder in CS5 on my Mac it hangs the program!!

So, I've got to assume there are some bugs in this "feature."

DWcourse
08-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Just found this post on the Adobe forum that may help you (but not me):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3023914

The problem seemed to be a space before the url in either the local root folder setting or the Spry asset folder setting.

DWcourse
08-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Too late to edit so.

1. The Spry Assets error is apparently an issue on Mac where the name of the hard drive contains a space. Renaming the hard drive (which might cause other issues) is the current work around.

2. My issue with Dreamweaver hanging was apparently a system issue and was resolved by a reboot.

otfehd
08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
oh jesus. I am in fact working on a Mac. Renaming the drive seems too risky. There was talk of burning the site onto an ISO file and thats just too cumbersome. I guess I will have to switch to a PC.

Thanks so much for your help!

DWcourse
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Well it's not dangerous. But things like your recent files list, aliases, other site definitions and perhaps icons in the dock might be broken.