PDA

View Full Version : Text WILL NOT align left, please advise

AdonisBHK
06-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Hi guys,

This is a newbie question, but I have looked and looked and can't figure out what is going wrong here.

In my webpage, the text always ends up centered, no matter what I try - but ONLY once it has been ftp'd to the host.

When I see it in design view, it's left aligned. When I preview it in safari, it's left aligned - as soon as I ftp, it's all centered.

The only thing that makes any difference is if I select the text, and change the format to 'none' - then it will show up left once it's live.

I'm confused, because everything looks good when I'm working in dreamweaver and previewing it - so I don't know where the problem is.

Any thoughts?

PS - here is the site sample http://www.gosleeveless.com/blank3.1.html As you can see the first line of text is left, because I've selected it and turned the format to 'none'. The other two lines are paragraph formatted. However, in dreamweaver design view, and in preview ALL of the text is on the left.

edbr
06-16-2010, 05:03 AM
because you have
#mainContent p.center { /* by assigning the center class to a paragraph, you give it 25 pixel right and left margins */
text-align: center;
margin-right: 25px;
margin-left: 25px;
}

AdonisBHK
06-16-2010, 05:20 AM
So should deleting that section of code correct the problem?

edbr
06-16-2010, 05:23 AM
yes or allign left

AdonisBHK
06-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Thank you so much, I've been pulling my hair out over this for the past 48 hours.

All better now. :mrgreen:

DWcourse
06-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Actually I'd leave the style in place (it's named "center" so using it to align type any other way seems strange) but just make sure it's not applied to the paragraphs you don't want to center.

DWcourse
06-16-2010, 05:29 AM
In fact you have:

#mainContent p.left {
text-align: left;
margin-right: 25px;
margin-left: 25px;
}

for aligning paragraphs left.

Are you using one of the built-in layouts from Dreamweaver CS5?

AdonisBHK
06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
I am using a template that I downloaded from a site, and I'm working in CS3

AdonisBHK
06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I deleted that section from the css, and it seems to be working just fine now. I can align paragraphs left, center, or right, and they go where they are supposed to.

DWcourse
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
What you did worked but you should really learn to use CSS. What you did won't work in newer versions of Dreamweaver.

AdonisBHK
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree.

I am working my way through the CS3 Missing Manual right now, so hopefully that will help me learn what I need to know.

Any suggestions on other resources I should look into to learn CSS?