PDA

View Full Version : Building a site, maybe with Joomla?

monkeymedia
06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi All

I'm doing a site for my boss, for his spanish villa. The current one is pretty basic so I'd like to make a good job of the new one and expand on what it does.

Now, I'm alright with the graphics side of things (less great with css as my other threads will show!) but know jack about php and the like.

What I would like to do with the site (well one of many things, I digress) is to have a list of local attractions, with the ability for visitors to review/comment on them. To my mind a cms like Joomla would be ideal.

What are you guys thoughts? I really do know jack about coding so if something else gets suggested it would need to be noob friendly.

I like all the add on bits you get for joomla, like a weather bar for instance.

This thread is sounded a lot like I'm talking myself into it isnt it? lol

Anyway, all help appreciated as usual.

edbr
06-15-2010, 02:55 AM
joomla does have a lot of addons. as its free why dont you set it up locally, grab a template and then tweak it to your own design.

monkeymedia
06-15-2010, 08:10 AM
yeah that was kind of the plan. is it a good plan? :)

edbr
06-15-2010, 08:30 AM
it is if it works. i did it ages ago and worked you can edit the templates in css sheet in the template folder o be honest it may depend on the template you choose and what you want to do with it, but its not impossible. joomla is probably the most supported system as far as the add on components and modules i would say so it would depend on what you want/need to add . just try it you will have to decide your self in the end.

monkeymedia
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
ok cheers I'll give it a whirl